Opening a Swamp this year.

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
Took the cover off of my pool last Wednesday. Boy what a mess. The water was down to about 1' ~ 1.5' feet in the shallow end, floating off the bottom in a few places, and a nice shade of green. To top it off we have a Hayward filter and the bolt broke on the clamp seal/spring when I was putting it back together. I had to order a replacement kit which was pricey and am waiting for that to arrive. Hopefully the part comes tomorrow and I can get the filter running. I don't even know where to start.

I called a local diver/repair guy. He said the pool would need to be filled and clear to him to locate a leak. I filled the pool on Thursday overnight (estimated that I added just under 10,000 gallons). The liner settled, but there are some wrinkles in the bottom of the shallow end. Saturday I skimmed for about an hour and got most of the floating algae off the top.

I haven't done and water samples/tests yet, but I'm sure I'll have to add some CYA and then go from there with liquid chlorine. Hopefully it doesn't take me a month to get clear.

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9916.JPG

IMG_9918.JPG

IMG_9911.JPG

Filter part that broke is #8/#9 in this pic.

haywardSWIMCLEAR.gif

Good luck with your leak. My pool actually looked worse than that this year, and I opened it almost a month ago. I didn't have a leak, but my water was so green it was almost black (dang mild winter and Virginia pollen)...I have a mesh cover, too, and that comes with the territory.
It took me several weeks to get mine clear, kept the chlorine levels high but only added at night so I wouldn't waste any chlorine. Still took more than 30 bottles. Sam's Club loves me :)

So I fought the pool over the weekend. Dropped the pH to 7.2 Thursday afternoon, checked the CYA and it was about 35ppm. Shocked up to FC=14ppm, the green disappeared pretty quickly. By Saturday morning the pool was mostly just grey and cloudy. I'm keeping the FC up around 14ppm until its clear though. I can almost see the floor in the shallow end. Cleaned the filter cartridges Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Will probably do it again tonight just to keep a clean set in the filter. Hopefully the pool is cleared up by next weekend.

Things are looking better. I can see the bottom in the shallow end and can almost see it in the deep end. How long should I keep the pool at shock level. I checked my CYA again today and it seems to have gone down a little ~30ppm. I'm holding the FC at 14ppm still. I've brushed the walls and the bottom numerous times since Friday and have had the robot in a couple times as well. I'm pretty sure at this point the algae is dead and the filters are just clearing the water. Can I drop back to normal FC levels at this point or should I keep them up?

Keep them up

1. Until you've got .5 CC or less
2. Until you lose less than 1fc overnight
3. Until your water is clear

You didn't pass all 3 yet. Clear up the water then worry about the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.