0 CYA - ok to use dichlor (shock) to increase CYA?

am777

Jun 2, 2011
Central NJ
Hi All,

First up thanks to everyone, love this site, have learned so much, I switched last year from trichlor tabs and dichlor shock to BBB and just liquid bleach, had a great season! :)

So I opened my pool this Sat, when I closed my pool last year CYA was about 35-40, I was surprised when it was 0 at opening (loads of leaves had gotten through the security cover somehow and must have caused the "swamp" effect and eaten all the CYA).

Tested water (TF-100) before adding anything -

Air temp - about 75F
TA - about 90-100
PH - about 7.2
CYA - 0
FC - 0

I happened to have a bunch of unused di-chlor shock packs (aqua chem brand) from before i switched to using BBB, and knowing that it adds Chlorine and CYA I though i could use that to increase CYA. I added a pack and a half (one pack says 12,000 and i have an 18,000 gal pool) on Sat morning and then tested CYA on Sun night and it was still not registering, though FC was about 1 and CC was about 1, so I added another pack and a half and then tested Mon morning and finally the CYA test liquid was looking a bit cloudy but still not registering on the CYA tube (which has a min of 20, so I estimated it must be about 5 or so) FC was 1, CC was 4. Water had cleared up significantly and was looking much better.

So I plan to keep adding the dichlor shock to bring the CYA up to about 30-35 or so and then stop and use BBB as usual. Any problems in using dichlor to increase CYA like this?

thanks in advance! :)

Couple thoughts...
CYA could take as long as 1 week to show up on your test.
You can use Pool Calculator to figure out how much CYA each tab 'should' add
Your CC continues to rise..makes me wonder how your water looks?
Do you plan to shock the pool?

blakej said:
Couple thoughts...
CYA could take as long as 1 week to show up on your test.
You can use Pool Calculator to figure out how much CYA each tab 'should' add
Your CC continues to rise..makes me wonder how your water looks?
Do you plan to shock the pool?

they aren't tabs, they are granules actually in a pack, but thanks for the advice, i checked the calc and each pack will increase CYA by only 3.4 so it'll take a lot of dichlor, i think i'll go get some stabilizer and add it, will be faster, my local pool store seems to have some powdered form of stabilizer, will check it out.

water was quite murky when opened, but it's much better now. yes i plan to shock with bleach but wanted to get CYA up to a reasonable level first....

thanks! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.