LQ Realized Capacity

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
Just a follow-up (one year later, Sigh...). Before I reinstalled the 8 gallon LQ this year I thought that I would put 8 gallons of water into it and mark it on the outside for a reference mark for this year. Good idea. I used a regular one gallon plastic milk jug to fill.
A surprising discovery: where the black funnel turns to a white tube is 6 gallons! What?? The 8 gallon mark is approx. 2 inches above that mark, well into the black funnel region.
I realize that the LQ is not crafted to a high tolerance of exacting specs, but a 2 gallon disparity is +-25%.
Has anyone else noticed something like this?

I never really noticed it when I was using it. I added 8 gallons of bleach to it the first time I filled it up and marked it on the outside. Then I just filled it back to there from then on. Maybe the funnel or vessel changed over the years and they never updated the specs.

8 jugs of 96 oz bleach = 768 ozs.
6 jugs of 128 oz bleach = 768 ozs.

Think the folks at Hasa really meant non-specific jugs instead of gallons?

I'm guessing the length of the PVC pipe on my unit might be a little short. I guess the only way to tell for sure is to put 16 gallons of water in the unit and see if the reaches the floats.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.