Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Edta tetra sodium vs phosphonic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlington, ON, Canada

Edta tetra sodium vs phosphonic acid

Most of the metal stain and scale products I've seen at my local pool stores contain phosphonic acid or citric acid (Natural Chemistry with their phosphate free products). I found one today that has Edta tetra sodium. Does anyone know if one is better than the other?
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Edta tetra sodium vs phosphonic acid

While I don't really understand the chemistry, I know that Chem Geek and JasonLion recommend the phosphonic acid types.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The full recommendation is "Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective."

Sequestrants based on EDTA work, but are significantly less effective.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Also, HEDP is more chlorine resistant while EDTA breaks down from chlorine so quickly that you will notice an increased chlorine demand from using it and need to add it much more frequently.

The more recent Natural Chemistry Metal Free appears to have citric acid as a reducing agent (similar to our recommendation of ascorbic acid), but the metal sequestrant appears to be some sort of anionic (negatively charged) polymer. They note that you can't use that with normal clarifiers in the water (they are normally positively charged polymers), but it's possible that the Metal Free product is effective and resistant to breakdown from chlorine -- we just don't know and haven't heard enough experiences from users to make an evaluation. So for now, HEDP-based products are the recommended metal sequestrant.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"