FC 18
CC .5
TC 18.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 80
Temp 65 F

What I am asking for is a check on everything that I am doing is correct, thank you in advance for all your help.

I have never owned a pool or everyone grew up in a house with one, so needless to say, I know very little to nothing. Only what I have learned from reading here and as usual when learning something new, have more questions and uncertainty when finding information.

The Pool had a cover and I believe it was winterized as the pump and filter were disconnected, pool drained to an inch or two below the return jet. We drained the water off the cover and have removed the cover (noticed a strong chlorine smell from under cover - don't know if that is good or bad?) washed the cover and folded for storage. I added sand to the filter as it was lower than what the manual says it should be (6" from the top") and connected up the filter and pump (very interesting process for the first time). We have filled up the pool to mid skimmer level. I have since, backwashed and rinsed the sand filter. I also replaced the PSI gauge on the filter as it was reading 10 PSI not even installed. The operating PSI for the filter after backwash/rinse is 15 PSI.

During the backwash/rinse, the pump and everything seems to be running fine. The next step is to get to scrubbing and vacuuming the pool but I am trying to understand the whole chemistry of maintaining a pool and the work required for such a task.

From http://www.poolcalculator.com/ I am seeing that I need to add
459oz of 6% bleach (clorox @ Sam's Club) to raise the FC from 15 to 31.4 (this from Chemgeek Chlorine/CYA chart)
Add 22oz by weight or 19oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash or add 44oz by weight or 42oz by volume of borax.

Just want to make sure this is correct from more experienced pool owners/maintainers. I have also seen a collection of chemicals in the basement that are pH up and pH down additives and not sure what else. This house has been on the market for almost a year and not sure when the pool was closed or even maintained when for sale. I don't know if I should use any of the chemicals left over or get ride of them. Ok, thank you for your time to read this. Time to take the wife for her belated Mother's Day lunch and stop by the store for some bleach!

That water is very clear and I have not added anything to the pool besides city water from the hose. I was expecting to find a green pond or something under the pool cover. I plan on adding chlorine to bring the pool to shock level for my current level of CYA and then I'll do the chlorine test tonight and again in the morning to see what the FC drop is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.