Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it reasonable to expect zero algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it reasonable to expect zero algae?

The water is crystal clear, but very 3-4 days recently I'm noticing a light accumulation of what appears to be greenish algae on the walls of the pool, which is easily "dusted" off with the brush. I had been testing with strips (which led me to believe my FC level was about 4), but the TF100 drop test gave me a higher result... here's the results of the tests I did this morning:

PH: 7.4
    FC: 7.5
    CC: 0
    CYA: 65 (I think)
    ALK: 110

My FC level was actually 9 a day or two ago, so I turned down the SWCG to let the level drift down towards the recommended level on the chart (4-5).

Anyway, my question is this... if the water is clear, but I'm seeing a little algae on the walls, does this mean I should keep the FC a bit higher, or is a small amount of algae growth considered acceptable? Also, my PH was about 8.2, which I reduced yesterday with the addition of acid... could that have played a role in the appearance of algae?

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) • 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool • Intelliflo VS • Triton TR100 filter • Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG • Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it reasonable to expect zero algae?

If you keep your FC in the recommended range all the time you should never see algae. You can have areas of poor circulation where the FC is lower than in the rest of the pool and that can cause problems but it's rare that's it's bad enough to cause constant issues.

With an swcg your FC should be plenty high. I suggest turning off the swcg one evening and running an OCLT. You may need to shock the pool and start from clean & clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks... sorry, forgot to mention, I did do the OCLT. Yesterday evening FC was 8, and was 7.5 this morning (pump was off all night).

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) • 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool • Intelliflo VS • Triton TR100 filter • Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG • Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Did you run the pump in the morning before re-testing water? If you do shut your pump off at night, it is suggested that you run it for a little while before taking sample in the morning.

5. Back To Top    #5

I did let it run for about a half hour (with no SWCG)... is that enough time?

--Michael

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mcaswell
    I did let it run for about a half hour (with no SWCG)... is that enough time?
    Yes, that should be enough time.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had a dead spot in a corner of my tanning shelf that did the same thing. I adjusted a return a bit and all good now. I was freaked out, cuz I run my fc a bit high and it was totally unexpected.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

8. Back To Top    #8

I had this same issue and it was an algae buildup. Took me a few days to clear it up and pass the OCLT, which I see you already did, and have been keeping it at the correct FC level. Since then no issues.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

There's also a possibility that my CYA is higher than I think the test indicated... I repeated it several times, and I think I got it right, but maybe not.

--Michael

10. Back To Top    #10

i have a few black algae dots no matter how high i try to keep the chlorine. i just brush them off every time i go swimming.