Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

It looks like I may have ordered the wrong Taylor reagent as a refill for my PH test. I have the k-1005 kit which uses R-0014 and I accidentally ordered R-0004. Can anybody tell me the difference and whether they are interchangeable? Thanks.
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

They aren't interchangeable, unfortunately. The R-0004 is for the big 40ml tube that comes with the K2005/2006 tests, so it's a lot more concentrated than the R-0014.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. That is what I figured.
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can't return it, you could do a simple experiment and try using 1 or 2 drops instead of 5, and see if it works OK.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

The R-0004 reagent was only $3.75, so not really worth the shipping cost to send back. How would I be able to know if adding 1 or 2 drops works?

6. Back To Top    #6

So my problem is backwards - I have the K-2006 kit which uses R-0004 and I bought the R-0014 by mistake. Can I just use a smaller sample size, like 20 mL, compared to the 44mL sample that I would use with R-0004? Would the shade of red give me an indication of what the pH is?

By the way, does anyone else equate the color to red wines? A high pH is like an immature fruity wine with lots of purple and pink whereas a low pH is like a well aged Barolo, more of a brick red towards an orangey-red.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Just use more drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Any idea how many more? I do have a little bit of R-0004 left - should I just calibrate and see how the ratio comes out?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

9. Back To Top    #9

As many as you need to get a nice color. The number of drops does not matter, even if you were using the correct reagent. Since the sample is double, then 10 drops should get you close, but more or less is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I am not sure of the direction of this thread but the R-0014 and R-0004 are not interchangeable.

Use the correct reagent for the correct color comparator and you will get correct results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

This had been discussed previously and thought Richard indicated that the number of drops did not matter. I would have to search for the source.

EDIT:
    It seems that usually the question arises about using the R-0004 in the small pH test block where you only should use 2-3 drops. Here is one example with more links inside: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post429740

This post is the opposite concerning using R-0014 in the larger test block which I can not find discussion about. Since we are only talking about the strength of an indicator dye, I am not sure why you could not use more drops.

@mcdickey: some comparison pictures like in the link above would be nice to see what you find out about comparing the colors for different number of drops
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The Taylor position is the two reagents are not compatible. I thought it was because the comparator blocks were actually slightly different in color and the correct reagent needed to be matched with the correct comparator block to get the most precise result.

I agree that the volume (number of drops) is not absolutely critical.

I have always felt like the two reagents produced somewhat different shading which was interpreted most accurately by matching it with the correct comparator block.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Ah, I had not seen mention that the comparator blocks might have different shading. Interesting that Taylor has that position when there are quite a few threads here that seem to indicate that the different reagent could work.

The pictures in the link I provided sure make it look like the R-0004 with 2 drops in the small block match the color well ... at least at 7.5 ... although maybe it would not be consistent at other pH levels.

There is an opportunity here where the OP has both reagents and could post up some comparison pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I was able to use the Taylor pH indicator R-0004 (for the 2000 series comparator) in the residential comparator that uses the R-0014 reagent. The 5 drops of R-0004 requires 44mL of pool water and the residential unit is 6 mL in size so that equates to about 0.6 of a drop. It took 2 drops to get the same color match with the R-0004 to that of the R-0014 used at 5 drops in the same 6 mL residential comparator. (I goofed and bough R-0004 as well and needed it to work after a bad rain storm last night.) Hope this helps.