New Liner

May 2, 2011
Hi All,

I just got a new liner installed. Over the weekend I had been filling it up with water. It's about an inch to the level of the skimmer now.
I'm wondering if there's a good starting point/strategy as far as what chemicals first to put.
No chlorine, ph at 7.5 and alkalinity at 50. No calcium (didn't change color).
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Jovian

Testing your pH and TA was a good start. As soon as you can run your pump, start it and add about 2 ppm of bleach to the pool. Then add enough CYA to get to about 40 ppm and go from there.

Explain more about the calcium test. The sample didn't change color at all? (It remained clear) Or did it immediately turn blue?

It shouldn't have remained clear. When you added the R-0011L it should have turned some color. Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly? You probably should try that again.

You can if you have plenty on hand, otherwise I'd just use granules.

Here my latest reading:
FC: 0
Cc:0
TA:90
CH: remained clear as soon as I added 5 drops of 0011L. One thing I don't recall is the color of 0011L last year, as this is my only second year using BBB, cause right now it's more like a brown red syrup looking. Any ideas?
Cya:0

I'm pouring Clorox every night but knowing the low cya, it seems useless.
I read somewhere in this forum that there's a product to increase cya and lower ph level(don't remember where). Am I right?
Please advise.

Address the calcium issue last. You have important work to do FIRST.

1. Lower the pH to 7.4 or so. Use muriatic acid. Do this now. Why do you think it jumped from 7.5? It shouldn't have.

2. Purchase and add enough CYA to get to 50ppm. I suggest you only put half in for now to get to 25ppm....you'll add the rest later.

3. Keep putting chlorox in your pool in the evening. The CYA only is useful to protect chlorine from the sun.

I think you need to shock....what does your water look like?

I think I read the PH incorrectly the other day, it was more like 7.6 already. Now it's between 7.8-8.2, but closer to 8.2. I think it came up because I added about 400 oz of Baking soda, to increase TA from 50 to now 90.
Using the pool calculator, for the cya, it says I need to get 160 oz of stabilizer. What product do I get and Where can I buy this?
Water looks cloudier now.

Thanks for all the help.

Don't worry about anything else until you get the pH down. Use Muriatic acid for that.

Once you get the pH down dump enough chlorine in there to get to about 3 ppm FC.

Stabilizer is CYA, cyanuric acid, conditioner, etc. Look for 100% (or very close) cyanuric acid as the ingredients. Pool Stores will have it along with most big box stores, even Walmart sells it in the pool section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.