Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 1600 Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 1600 Sand Filter

New here....I have been reading a lot on TFP on the Intex Pools....Great Site
    We started putting up the 18'x52" Intex Ultra Frame this past weekend. Everything looks good. Still filliing the pool up, we have very low water pressure so its taking quite awhile to fill.
    My question is about the Intex 1600 Sand Filter. We put the sand in the tank and got sand in the filter . Can we back wash to get the sand out of the lateral? Or should we just empty the sand out, clean best we can and start over?
    18 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame
    1600 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 1600 Sand Filter

Welcome to TFP!

Backwashing won't do anything. Running the filter in normal filter mode will wash the sand out of the laterals and into the pool. I forget, if that filter has a rinse mode, rinse will get the sand out and wash it out the waste/backwash connection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, RoseF
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Running the filter in normal filter mode will wash the sand out of the laterals and into the pool. I forget, if that filter has a rinse mode, rinse will get the sand out and wash it out the waste/backwash connection.
    My memory may not be great (neighbors pool, last season), but I think it has a rinse mode.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that filter has a rinse mode.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you...once the pool is full, we will try it.
    18 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame
    1600 Sand Filter