Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks to my wife, we need a new pump..........

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks to my wife, we need a new pump..........

The pool is 18' X 54" deep with a Hayward power flo lx 1.5hp with a hayward cartridge sw110mpaks filter. I need a new pump and I'm thinking I do not need 1.5hp, but don't know for sure. Also I can buy a Hayward 18" sand filter really cheap from a friend, model S180T. I'm thinking a 1hp hayward Matrix pump or a dynamo. Would I be O.K. with a 1hp pump? Would it be an upgrade buying the sand filter? I also have a 8gal liquidator on the system? Any help and recommendations are much appreciated!!!
    18' x 54" Round AGP, Hayward pump/Cartridge Filter, 8 Gallon Liquidator, and TF-Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks to my wife, we need a new pump..........

Yes, a 1 HP matrix or dynamo would be fine. Even better for saving money would be a two speed version of either of those pumps.

I'm not sure which filter you currently have, "sw110mpaks" doesn't match with any of the models I am familiar with, so I'm not sure how the sand filter will compare. In general I recommend getting a filter larger than that sand filter. Larger filters can go longer between backwashings/cleanings and are generally more efficient overall.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

jason that was the model number off of the housing and says Hayward Voyager
    18' x 54" Round AGP, Hayward pump/Cartridge Filter, 8 Gallon Liquidator, and TF-Test

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't find that model filter, but it appears to be 110 sqft. It's a bit small but should be ok for that pool. Bigger is better.

I suggest you look at a 2-speed pump. I also wouldn't get the sand filter unless it's almost a giveaway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason and Bama, I went with a 1hp matrix but now I'm thinking the filter is too small. My surface area is 254 sq/ft and my cartridge is rated for 100 sq/ft. Should I be filter shopping also??

6. Back To Top    #6

That filter is a bit small for that pump and while I would suggest getting a larger one it's not an emergency. I recommend a 150 to 200 sqft filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Wouldn't a 18" sand filter be enough, around 1.75 sq foot

8. Back To Top    #8

A 24" would be the smallest I'd suggest.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator