Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice For Natural Gas Heater Brand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice For Natural Gas Heater Brand?

Hey folks,

Picking up a natural gas heater. Going with a 400k btu most likely. Just trying to pick out a brand/model. It's pretty hard to find reviews on them and they all cost about the same ($1700-$2000). Are any of these highly recommended or conversely not recommended?
    Looking at the:
    • Pentair Master Temp

• Hayward Low Nox

• Sta Rite Max-E-Therm

• Laars LXi

• Jandy Legacy

• Any Others?

18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

SW Wisconsin

Re: Advice For Natural Gas Heater Brand?

I've seen a number of them, and internally they are all pretty much the same. I just went with a name that has been around for a long time, and that was Hayward. I've had no problems with mine. AND, they all SUCK ALOT of gas!!

33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Greenville Indiana

Check out Lochinvar.
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4

San Jose, CA

My PB told me to get a Raypak. I was thinking Jandy with Cupro-nickle. I just tossed out a Raypak that had been installed for 30 years. The cuper-Nickle Raypak has a 50% thicker heat exchanger. That's what gave out on my last one.
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.