Possibly Stupid Question about Fountains and PH in IG Pool

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Greetings, all. In the course of attempting to correct a calculation error/stupid mistake on my part adding muriatic acid too quickly (in one fell swoop, 2 gal!) I felt compelled to get the PH back up quickly via the fountain I had just purchased (floating grecian that attached to a return.)

My PH was back up to 7.0 this a.m. from a rather drastic drop to pure yellow yesterday a.m., so I was quite pleased with the outcome and will continue aeration as needed to get back up to 7.5. My TA is down to 120 from 180...but I am assuming I will have to (carefully) lower it further if I later want to add borates for swimmer comfort (right?)

HOWEVER, I also am really enjoying the fountain. So here's what's PUZZLING me.
If I am raising the PH via using the fountain, what do folks do who WANT to use the fountain all the time....do to control what I assume would be a constant PH drift upward ... whole reason I was adding the acid was to avoid the ph drift upward...

So for those who have fountains, what do you do? Does the ph drop when you turn it back off? Do you just drop the ph now and then using acid?

Inquiring minds would like to know ;)

Thanks in advance for your continued guidance!

Re: Possibly Stupid Question about Fountains and PH in IG Po

The fountain interacts with the TA level to raise the PH. If TA is high, PH comes up quickly. As the TA level comes down the rate of PH increase slows down and eventually stops, even if you continue running the fountain.

Awesome. So I will be able to keep the feature without extra fussing -- fantastic news.

So would you recommend further (and more careful) lowering from 120 if the ph after agitation can get back up around 7.5-7.6?

Yes, keep adding acid every time the PH comes up until TA is down to around 60 or 70. At first that will go fairly quickly, but it will slow down dramatically later on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.