New to Forums - Vetran Pool Owner with Intex Questions

May 13, 2012
Caledonia, MS
I just found this site this weekend and it's great!! A ton of Intex info, some of which I have already learned the hard way, and other that I never thought of.

I have been using Intex pools for about 9 years now. I had been using the pools with the inflatable rings and upgrading every 2 years if the pump would actually last that long. Three years ago I went to the 18x48 metal frame pool (non-ultra) and bought a separate pump/sand filter unit - this was a great decision. I then switched to salt water last year and this was the single BEST thing I could have done. I live in central MS and have always left the pool up year round covered.

Two questions:
1 - How long are people getting out of their Intex SWG? Mine worked great until the very end of the season when it got the "91" error. Instead of adding salt, I closed the pool about a week early. This spring the "91" never cleared. Salt level perfect and cleaned plates (even thought they did not have any noticeable scale at all) as directed with no luck. I purchased another one and it worked immediately. So I got one season out of it and I'm hoping that's not the norm.

2 - How long have people used the same pool if left up year round (covered in winter)? I'm on the 4the season and I replaced the plunger valves and skimmer this year, but still using the same ladder and the metal frame seems to still be in good shape, but unsure about the liner. No issues now, but will teh seams start to fail at some point? Has anyone used the same pool liner for 5 years or more without issue?

Our very first Intex, 16X4 metal frame, lasted 6yrs of being left out year round before it developed a pin hole leak in the side. Mainly I feel due to the fact that the end of the 6th year into the spring of the 7th I drained it almost completely and the wind really knocked it around all winter. Not having drained it I think it would have lasted several more years. Was a good excuse to upgrade to a bigger pool.

As for the swg, starting our second year with ours. So far so good. Most of us just disconnect the plug on the copper bars. Some have cut them out but it's just easier to unscrew the ring and unplug the wire from the top.

Jamison04 said:
Our very first Intex, 16X4 metal frame, lasted 6yrs of being left out year round before it developed a pin hole leak in the side. Mainly I feel due to the fact that the end of the 6th year into the spring of the 7th I drained it almost completely and the wind really knocked it around all winter. Not having drained it I think it would have lasted several more years. Was a good excuse to upgrade to a bigger pool.

As for the swg, starting our second year with ours. So far so good. Most of us just disconnect the plug on the copper bars. Some have cut them out but it's just easier to unscrew the ring and unplug the wire from the top.

This is good info, thank you!

I would like to upgrade to a larger pool, but not sure I have it in me. Getting the ground level for this pool was a pain, and going to larger pool would require a fair amount of work since there is a ridge I would have to dig out. I would like to go to an Ultra-frame as I just like the look of them much better, but it's not worth the trouble as long as this one is still good.

ike0069 said:
That's good news. How did you disconnect the copper?
I am not at home right now, but if I recall correctly you unscrew the "nut" and just pull up to disconnect. I went a step further and removed the bars from my unit. With that said, I do not think that is necessary as the bars oxidize/passivate on their surface quickly and since they are not powered anymore, that passivation should protect the water from continually getting more copper.

If you just bought the SWCG last year, it should still be under warranty. If you have your receipt, call Intex to have it replaced. Even if you have a new one, you can use the replacement as a backup or sell it.

rghilliard said:
If you just bought the SWCG last year, it should still be under warranty. If you have your receipt, call Intex to have it replaced. Even if you have a new one, you can use the replacement as a backup or sell it.

Unfortuantely, the date I purchased was March last year and I did not open my pool this year 'til April, so it was past one year. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.