Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust in a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust in a pool

As some of you know I am having the roof replaced over my indoor pool, well due to a combination of events what I am guessing is a few pounds of rust have found its way into the bottom of my pool. The short version of the story is while the old metal roof was being cut off the old I-beams a lot of fine rust ended up all over the floor, then it rainned yesterday and the run off with all this rust went into the pool. The question are now what to do about it, and how will this effect the pool chemistry? This rust now appears as black dirt like powder on the bottom of the pool which the robotic vacuum stirs up more than it picks up.

p.s latest test results, some parts (CH and TA) are a few days old

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    CYA 25
    TA 70
    CH 160
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Rust in a pool

Why don't you vacuum it out manually?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well at the moment I was waiting until the roofers had finished and applied the blown in foam insulation before replacing the DE filter they mostly destroyed week before last when they took it upon themselves to take it apart and clean it out, so for the time being I have water circulation, but little in the way of filtration. See don-t-let-idiots-near-your-pool-t43332.html
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

4. Back To Top    #4

The sooner you get that outta there the better off you'll be. Given time it'll dissolve into the water and cause you problems down the road. Can you put a fine sock on the Dolphin and run it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hopefully the Dolphin will pick it up in enough passes, the problem is the treads are stiring it up before the vacuum can suck it through the filter bag.

Ike

p.s. most of the rust/iron is gone now thanks to a bar magnet on wheels designed to pick up nails