12 Years of Baquacil - No More!

I'm going to pretend that your PH level isn't 1.5 :D If it is....their eye's may just fall out tonight!

Do another OCLT tonight and record your results. It maybe time to move onto step 7 of the swap.
When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

As your the kids swimming in the pool. They're safe from the FC levels.
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gu ... chart.html

Leebo said:
I'm going to pretend that your PH level isn't 1.5 :D If it is....their eye's may just fall out tonight!
Good catch! I corrected the post LOL .... :cool:

Leebo said:
It maybe time to move onto step 7 of the swap
I guess I will go get a reading now ... good suggestion.

OCLT UPDATE at 9:44pm, this 17th day of the 5th month, in the year Two Thousand Twelve, Anno Domini :mrgreen:
- FC = 18.5
- CC = 2.5

I got my readings this morning, may have been a bit late in getting them since we cut trees in our yard this winter ... so I wasn't expecting the sun to be hitting our pool at 9am in the morning.

Anyways, it appears I will need to do the OCLT again tonight, and hope I can move to step 7 (I got my CYA, so anxiously await).

FC = 13.5 (a loss of 5 from night before :rant: )
CC = 1.5
pH = 7.5

Hurry Up and get DONE being SHOCKED!!! :whip:

Last night I shocked and got an FC of 18.5 reading, this morning got 13.5 .... net loss of 5.

Maybe I did not do the morning test soon enough ... so I think need to do it again. :rant:

OCLT - Question

Previous Night: FC = 22, CC = 2
This morning: FC = 18, CC = 1.5

FC/CC Delta = 4ppa/.5ppa

So I should wait until it's only a 1ppm decrease, eh?

QUESTION: Is it possible my FC ppm loss was LARGER than 1ppm simply because I had 22 ppms to begin with? For example, let's say last night I did the OCLT test and only added enough CL to produce, say, only 4ppms.

Would the above results suggest that next morning, I would have AGAIN lost 4ppm? (failing the test again)

Or perhaps would I have PROPORTIONATELY lost approx 18%, yielding a reading of 3.2-3.5ppm, in which case I would have PASSED the test

:?:

Oh, thanks for that. I knew I read about "proportionality" somewhere here ....I've no doubt the system works, and am glad I've taken the plunge. Was hoping I could get to step 7 quicker but perhaps tomorrow. :-D

Only shot for a 15FC mark this evening. No need to overshot as much as you are. It is mostly going up to the sun during the day. Today, brush...brush....brush everything. There's still baqua hiding in the nooks that's taking your chlorine. The cracks by the skimmer, any lights, steps, anywhere there's a crack there's garbage hiding. I used a toothbrush to get all of these nooks by hand. It's worth it!

After that, try the OCLT again....I'm guessing you're very close. What's the water look like??

Water looks absolutely awesome! I guess I will plan to do some cleaning today as you suggest, and test tomorrow.

But another question (this is just purely hypothetical / for my informational purposes only, not challenging the viability/validity of BBB as I'm a believer), what's the worst that might happen if I moved to step 7 now? Won't baqua be eliminated eventually through attrition?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leebo, re: not overshooting target 15ppm, I'm calculating requirements using calculator, but only "eyeball estimating" when pouring, don't have measuring cups. I guess seem to pour too much than too little.

:nopic:

We need updated pics by morning or you will be out of the running for TFP's new Pool Boy Contest which includes twirling a telescopic pole like a majorette and modeling swimsuits! :mrgreen:

Wow, I can't believe you lasted 12 years on Baquacil! After 6 I started getting the pink slime and that sent me over the edge. Hang in there.,.. it is sooo worth it! Those last few days seem to drag on and on, though... when the pool looks clear but you are still getting CCs at every test.

Yes, more pics, please!

I 100% understand the desire to hurry the steps along....but trust us it's worth it to kill everything! The water I'm sure is looking better now that it ever has before, but you're still losing several FC overnight. You'll get there very soon I promise you! Once you do you'll have the entire season to enjoy the sparkle that this site produces. Make sure you test your FC mark late at night...and early in the morning. I've got a good feeling that you will very soon finish this swap off. The baqua is still hiding somewhere in the pool as shown by your overnight loss, and the high CC reading. If you change the sand now, the remaining "goo" will get caught in the sand and still has the chance of showing up at a later date. If you add CYA at this point your shock level will start to raise causing you to use a higher FC level. I am guessing however once again that you're VERY close to being able to add some CYA to the pool and save on your chlorine bill. Sweep....scrub....sweep....shock....sweep....post photo's. You're VERY close....kill everything and don't look at the Baqua crud ever again!

2012-05-20am.jpg

MeSue said:
Wow, I can't believe you lasted 12 years on Baquacil! After 6 I started getting the pink slime and that sent me over the edge. Hang in there.,.. it is sooo worth it! Those last few days seem to drag on and on, though... when the pool looks clear but you are still getting CCs at every test.
I never got pink slime, just cloudy water, probably white mold? Also, always seemed to have some amount of leaves and stuff on the bottom center of the pool but I could never SEE it ... just feel it on my feet if I happened to get "unlucky". Any attempt at vacuuming was futile (cause I couldn't see the bottom). It was weekly maintenance of Baqua ... after a point I just bought the stuff and poured it in to keep the pool "non-green".

The Baqua system does not encourage owners to understand pool chemistry beyond "see your authorized dealer". Even when I did a recent websearch prior to deciding to switch to CL, I could not find any meaningful directions/instructions/strategy. When my questions started forming, everything pointed to going back to the authorized Baquacil Wizard. Funny the closest wizard to me was around 20 miles away, and this wizard didn't have too many good things to say about Baquacil. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Leebo,

I'm coming down to the wire. I agree with what you've said and will see this through. Just want to say you have been a tremendous help and I truly appreciate your time and posts.

Funny thing CF....your issues with baqua are 100% the same as mine....word for word.

No problem for the help. Gotta do something now that I'm not fighting the pool. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.