Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Equipment_Upgrades ...pump&filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Equipment_Upgrades ...pump&filter

hello im new here and been doing a lot of reading of the forums....im looking to upgrading my pump and filter
    as of now im using a super star clear cartridge filter
    here the pump
    and over all picture

so it a 40,000 pool and spa combo in ground...with pool sweep
    looking to upgrade to a SAND FILTER and pump that will work with the same situp
    looking for something inexpensive that will do the job thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Equipment_Upgrades ...pump&filter

Welcome to TFP!

What are you trying to change/improve with this upgrade?

Can you make out the HP and SF listed on the motor nameplate?

Do I understand correctly that your pool is 40,000 gallons?

And finally, what region do you live in?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I,m looking to upgrade to a sand filer and a new pump and moter
    As you can see by the picture it,s a cartridge filter
    I bought the house about 6 years age previous owner had it for 8 years and had the pool installed
    The pool is a free form pool they said it was 38 to 40 thousand gallon pool with a deep end of 10 feet deep
    Last year I had the bottom blow out of the filter and had the bottom replaced but now looking into getting a sand filter system

Los banos California

4. Back To Top    #4

In CA electricity usually costs quite a bit. If that applies, you should think about getting a variable speed pump. They can save you a great deal of money in the long run by using significantly less electricity. There are several good variable speed pumps, the Pentair IntelliFlo and Hayward EcoStar are the two top models.

For a large pool like that I recommend getting a 600+ lb sand filter. The Pentair Triton TR 140 is one of several good candidates. Sand filters are a well understood technology, so all of them are fairly similar to each other. The larger filter will allow you to go longer between backwashes and is more energy efficient.

If that combination is too expensive for your budget, you should think seriously about keeping what you have now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the information

6. Back To Top    #6

If it isn't broken why fix it. You may want to swap out the pump to save money, but otherwise save your money and enjoy the pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida