Trying to lower TA

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I've been trying to lower my TA for the past few weeks and can't seem to get it to budge (it's always at 90). I've followed the instructions by adding MA to reduce PH to around 7.0 or 7.2 and then aerate. I'm using my SPA spillerover and a table rock water fall to aerate. Still my TA doesn't seem to reduce at all.

Here are my results today.

FC 5.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 270
CYA 50
Salt 3200

I added more MA to reduce my PH to around 7.2. I've also added some more CYA to get it to 70 (will check results later next week).
I would really like to add borates to my pool as well to around 50. But, can't seem to get my TA down. What else can I do?

Give it time. Every time you add acid, the TA level is coming down. However, it can take a couple of cycles of add acid, raise PH, and repeat before it moves enough to be obviously different in the test results.

I was assuming that by doing this for 3 weeks or so, that my TA would reduce. So it's normal for this to happen? (I need to work on my patience that is for sure). Everything else with the pool is great - the water is crystal clear.

The only thing that has been added to the pool in the past 3 weeks is the following:

CYA (just today) after the test result
Salt (2 bags)
MA
I've also been adjusting the % on salt cell (between 30% to 40%)

That is it.

Hum, the only other possibility I can think of is fresh plaster in the last less than a year. Fresh plaster will raise PH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first 4 weeks or so, and more slowly for up to a year.

The pool was just built - water put in mid March. I guess I will continue to wait and see if the TA comes down at all. What is the downside to me adding the borates now? Just curious.

I have not added any borates yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.