Uncovered to clear water with rust stain on the bottom. ACK!

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
Hi all. Here's hoping someone can help us out with this problem. We shut down last fall to clear, clean water and opened today with clear, clean water, about 3 leaves and a rust stain about the size of a small egg on the bottom. A plug had fallen out of one of our barrels we use to put under the cover and must have been on the bottom all winter :( We tried to rub it off with the brush on the end of the pole to no avail.
Currently water temp is @ 70...too cold for this gal to jump on in and try to remove it by hand!
We have added no chemicals at all, haven't even taken a reading yet as we are filling right now.

Anyone of our experts out there have an idea as to what we could use to remove the stain? It will make me bonkers :hammer: to look at that all summer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Uncovered to clear water with rust stain on the bottom.

For a rust stain, take some vitamin C tablets, crush them up in a sock, & put them on the stain. If it's an iron stain, it should disappear. Actually, one tablet would probably do it, not crushed up. Hold it on the stain with your toes, or something & it should immediately lift it. I was experimenting with them last summer on my liner that had horrible stains over the years. My sons 20 something friends were writing things on the pool liner wall. It lifted them that quickly. I did the Citric acid treatment this spring on opening & now all the metal stains are completely gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.