Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which solar controller and a sweep question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Which solar controller and a sweep question.

I have a 15'x35' rectangular, 4' 6' 4' deep, 20,000 gallon gunite in ground pool with a single story solar system located in Northern California. I'm about to replace a Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump with an Inteliflo VS pump.

I'm looking for a suggestion for a programable solar controller to replace my current basic controller? Ease of programing in conjunction with the Inteliflo pump would be nice.

Also, I'm using a one season old Hayward Navigator vacuum pool sweep. The pressure gauge atop the filter reads 23 lb. as it always has yet the vacuum pressure seems much less than when originally installed and the sweep is barely moving about. The pump I'm about to replace is seven years old. Would a worn pump account for such a drastic drop in pressure or might there be an obstruction within the return plumbing to the pump? Is there a way to check this or somehow snake the return?
    Six year old 15 X 35 rectangular 20,500 gal. in ground plaster pool.
    1 hp. STA-RITE pump.
    STA-RITE (black egg shape) two cartridge filter Model S7M400, 115 GPM flow rate.
    STA-RITE gas heater which I have yet to use.
    Solar heating on the roof of a single story ranch style home.
    Hayward Navigator vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Which solar controller and a sweep question.

If your psi has stayed constant for years, your flow and suction should be constant as well. Does the gauge go to ZERO when you turn the pump off?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pentair Sun Touch is probably the least expensive solar controller that integrates well with the IntelliFlo pump.

For the most part pumps either work or they don't work. Some plumbing blockage or an air leak on the suction side of the pluming could result is a loss of pressure, but an old pump wouldn't cause that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the gauge goes to zero.
    An air leak. I have noticed air bubbles in all the water return jets. Is there a way to check for a blockage within the plumbing?

Are there other solar controllers that will work with the Inteliflo I should look at?
    Six year old 15 X 35 rectangular 20,500 gal. in ground plaster pool.
    1 hp. STA-RITE pump.
    STA-RITE (black egg shape) two cartridge filter Model S7M400, 115 GPM flow rate.
    STA-RITE gas heater which I have yet to use.
    Solar heating on the roof of a single story ranch style home.
    Hayward Navigator vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The Pentair Sun Touch is probably the least expensive solar controller that integrates well with the IntelliFlo pump.

For the most part pumps either work or they don't work. Some plumbing blockage or an air leak on the suction side of the pluming could result is a loss of pressure, but an old pump wouldn't cause that.
    Jason- thank you for pointing out the suntouch(!). So, if I have a pump, booster pump, heater, and solar panels it sounds like it can control all of those? I was looking at the intellitouch but can't spend the @$1000 now. Looks like suntouch will be about half that.
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, the SunTouch can handle all of that and have a little room for later expansion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School