Adding a lot of dry stabilizer

Jun 25, 2011
My buddy has a pool similar to mine, except its 25k gallons and not 30k. He needs to raise his CYA 30 ppm, and that would be ~6 pounds of CYA. The instructions just say to add it to the skimmer but I was curious if there was a "better" or more correct way to do so, and also how much should he add at a time?

It is fine to add it to the skimmer but you should not backwash for a week so you don't flush out any undissolved CYA. Many here on the forum put the CYA in an old sock and tie it off in front of a return and let it slowly dissolve. That way, you have backwash capability. Either way works.

duraleigh said:
It is fine to add it to the skimmer but you should not backwash for a week so you don't flush out any undissolved CYA. Many here on the forum put the CYA in an old sock and tie it off in front of a return and let it slowly dissolve. That way, you have backwash capability. Either way works.

Alright good deal, we just cleaned his filter so its good to go.

And about adding 6 pounds in, all at once, or what?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.