Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sudden increase in salt ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

sudden increase in salt ppm

I've got an ET4 and an IC40. Yesterday I added a wireless control to the system. My salt ppm has been around 3800 (went higher after some evaporation, then I replaced it, it was down to 3750). As of last night, it was reading at 3750 on the remote. It rained a little last night and this morning. This morning, the pump wouldn't pull prime for about a half hour (until I heard it) and took care of it. Now when I check the salt via the remote, it's reading 4350ppm!!

Now, I'm kinda freaking out here but I haven't read it at the outdoor panel yet. Assuming it's the same, what in the world would make the salt PPM jump be 15% overnight with no loss of water??
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sudden increase in salt ppm

Did you recently heat the water?

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. It was heated yesterday and actually the heater is on right now as I'm reading it. Will that make a difference??
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

4. Back To Top    #4

Hotter water can result in higher salt readings if the unit does not compensate for the temperature difference.

5. Back To Top    #5

The new reading with warmer water is going to be more accurate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmmm...Well that's not good.

I think the problem is the reading anyway.

Via math I calculated the initial amount in would be around 3600-3700 and the store measured it at 3800, same as the system.

I've only pumped out about 1,200 gallons and pumped in maybe 600, so it's not been a huge turn over in water. I'll have to keep a close eye on this...

Thanks guys

7. Back To Top    #7

You should invest in a salt test kit. You can use either strips or a drop test. It's good to have one as a backup.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In case anyone was interested, I ran across this post (http://www.troublefreepool.com/updat...9.html#p226647) in some other reading which is a great piece of information. According to that, the salt reading varies 200ppm per 5 degrees water change away from 77 degrees (higher readings for higher temps, lower readings for lower temps). I don't know how linear that curve is (ie, is it 40 ppm per degree?) but it's a great piece of info for me and makes sense with the previous temperature comments.