trying my hand at tiki

E-ROC

Feb 29, 2012
i told my buddy "i could do that no problem!", and he called my bluff. so he came home with a 12" wide piece of wood and hucked it at me and grinned. deep breath on my side and then i got to work. i drew it on with a pencil both freehand and by using some cereal box paper after i sketched the design i liked. so here i am asking for approval, criticism, remarks, slander, dirty gestures, degredation, or whatever you have for me (with the exception of itchy crotch)(lol).
the start.
066-1.jpg

gettin goin.
067.jpg

a bit more.
068.jpg

and as of tonight.
stuff004.jpg

here's a better "3d" pic.
stuff005.jpg

thanks for looking!

i got some more done on it today. now that i got it sanded and ready, im gonna get it cleaned up and put a coat of light stain on it then paint it up and weather proof it so i can post it out in the backyard.
stuff001.jpg

stuff002.jpg

this pic should give a perspective of the size, 27" tall x 11 1/4" wide x 3/4' " thick.
stuff003.jpg

Cool! Do you have a router? If you changed the bit depth ever so often you might be able to replicate the texture you get by hand carving....and depending on where you place it, it may be far enough away nobody can tell it wasn't all handcarved.

no router. i hand carved it with a 5 piece carving set from harbour frieght and then hand sanded it a bit to smooth out the rough spots. i want to keep the texture of the doing it by hand for the more "realistic" look. it doesnt have the depth to it, but i will improve on that with next one im starting. the next one will also have horns on top so it may take longer to draw up a fitting design.

Nice job, man. I do a lot of woodworking myself, and have never tried handcarving. I did a piece similar to yours, although not tiki. Drew out a design on a slab of oak, and used the carbide cutting bit on my Dremel. Produces roughly the same result, but with a ton of little lines. Stained out nicely, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
E-ROC said:
thanks. i wish i could of used oak, but the pine worked out decently. ill try different wood each time to find the best for hand carving. did you use a light or dark stain?

I always seem to steer towards Golden Oak. Not too dark, not too light.

Digging the burned look....looks great!

the burning is really cool in person. does anyone have suggestions on what to use for a final protective coating that will hold up to so cal summers without yellowing or peeling/flaking/cooking off in direct sunlight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.