Cloudy water

May 12, 2012
My pool is cloudy! I started with green water added 16oz of shock n swim # 3 water is now cloudy. I vac and scrubbed the pool walls and floor to rid it of the slim. I added 1 #2- 3" chlorine tab. Cl 5 Br 10 pH 7.6 I did this about 8 hrs ago and its still cloudy. I've had the water in the pool for about month I didnt add anything untill today so the water has been sitting for awhile.

18'24 round Intex pool
Krystal clear filter pump 635T model
Western MA
tap water
drop kit from walmart

I did the cya test when I mixed the solution the water never turned cloudy. When I put the solution in the tube the black dot never disappeared. I have added 16oz shock and 3" tab chlorine I will test again tomorrow

CL is reading 5 how do i get this to the level it needs to be?
pH is reading 7.2
cya had no reading

When CYA is really low it is important to add chlorine in the evenings. You will lose it all to sunlight fairly quickly during the day.

I suggest you add stabilizer/conditioner to raise CYA to around 30, and start shocking the pool. See the article in Pool School for details on how to shock your pool.

If there is any debris on the bottom you should get it out. A leaf net usually works. One way or another it needs to come out even if you can't see it.

The paper cartridge filters that are used with that system are not very good. It may take some time to clear up the water completely.

I added more chlorine 1 3"tab water is getting clearer but, the cl is still 5 the solution in the test tube is bright yellow pH is still looking good 7.2 7.5

I will be adding the stablize tomorrow
Untill then should I use more shock? chlorine?
I've been cleaning it every day.
Thanks for all your help its greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.