Questions on opening pool

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
Ok so I took the cover off, put back all plugs into filter. Now I need some assistance. What do I do next? Is the next step to pull the plugs in the pool that are in the return valve? After that do I start the filter?

And when I start the filter, what is the process? I have attached a pic to my filter not sure where the black thing should point to so the water flows,etc. I have 3 switches. The 1 to the right is a mineralizer or something that we do not use. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, remove the plugs in the returns inside the pool. There may also be plugs inside the skimmer(s) which need to be removed. There is probably a drain valve on the heater as well (if you have a heater).

The valves in the picture are all turned off. You need to turn something on. The simplest adjustment from what I see is to turn the left most valve 90 degrees in either direction, though there are a number of other ways they could be adjusted. It is likely that you have another set of valves on the returns that are also turned off, and presumably they will need to be adjusted as well.

You also need to fill the pump strainer basket with water (make sure there isn't anything in there first), and finally when everything is ready turn on the pump. If water doesn't start moving through the pump in 30 seconds to a minute, turn the pump off again and try to figure out what is going on before continuing.

ok thanks Jason, I got the pump starting, but now I have 2 little issues. First is i have a leak from the bottom of the filter. Second I have a leak from the back middle of the filter. I have attached 2 pictures to show you want I am talking about. I have the plug on the bottom in. Also I tightened the filter using a socket wrench.

Did you wrap the drain plugs with a couple of turns of teflon tape before inserting them?

I assume one of the leaks is from around the sealing ring around the middle of the filter. If so, try tapping very lightly on the ring with a hammer while tightening. Another possibility, more difficult to check, is that there might be some debris on the o-ring that seals the two halves of the filter together. That o-ring should be coated with silicone plumbers lube before re-sealing the filter.

Fixing it now is better than leaving it leaking. Making sure the pump is off and vent on top of the filter is open, you can take the drain plug out wrap with tape and re-install. Obviously the filter will drain when you do that. You can fill the filter back up easily enough once the drain plug is properly installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.