Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium hypo

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium hypo

Hi, I picked up some of the menards
    12.5% liquid shock when it was on sale and it's says 12.5% sodium hypo.
    Is this basically the same as lithium hypo?
    Reason I ask is the pool calculator only shows lithium hypo so I used that to figure out how much to add
    Said 1.5 gallons so I am added 2 gallons first time cause I just took the cover off today and fc was 0 and pool is light green so I started with that and shock the shiat out of it
    So am I correct in thinking is basically the same as lithium hypo?

While i was typing this i stopped and checked the pool and after about 1hour of adding the bleach it's already down to .8 so I added 2 more gallons and will check it again after ~1 hr.
    The fun begins

Forgot to mention pool is ~19000 gal
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sodium hypo

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandreef
    So am I correct in thinking is basically the same as lithium hypo?
    No, you bought plain old bleach. Use the line above the lithium hypo line to determine how much you should put in. Change the % field to 12.5.

The Lithium Hypo line is part of a drop down. If you're using something other than bleach, you can change the drop down to figure it out.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sodium hypo

As Smy said, it's just 12.5% bleach.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sodium hypo

Ok I get it now
    I thought the drop down box that has lithium hypo in it was a required field for figuring how much bleach to use lol!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.