Adding Liquid Chlorine to Shock Pool

Apr 3, 2008
I really wanted to reply to another thread but it seems I am not allowed. There is a post by user 'Piku' located at : Trouble Free Pool Forum Index » Testing the Water » TF100 Chlorine Confusion

Piku is trying to get a chlorine reading in his pool and has determined that he may need to go as high as 100 ppm for his FC level to successfully chlorinate the pool. He then goes on to ask if that would damage any of his equipment (i'm assuming something like a vinyl liner etc.). I have the same concern I suppose. In other forums I've seen people recommend not going any higher than 15ppm so I'm a bit confused. Can someone explain how I've got it wrong here ?

Also, my other question is with regards to the pool calculator. If i have correct levels for everything but FC and I punch that into the pool calculator and put 0 FC Now, 10 FC Goal (which i think is the correct goal FC for shocking your pool ? ) for 6%, it returns 207 oz (just under 4 gallons). Is the idea that I pour 207 oz. of 6% bleach in front of my return and let it sit for 30 minutes, then take another reading, and repeat the process until the FC's remain at 10 for over an hour ? I read the stickies , but i'm just writing this out to make sure I have it correct.

Thank You, - S

There are a couple of issues to note with the extremely high FC levels. First piku has a gunite/plaster pool, which is much less sensitive to chlorine than a vinyl liner. Secondly, and more importantly, he has a very rare water condition where almost all of that chlorine will get consumed almost immediately. And finally, there are various things you really shouldn't do, like getting the chlorine very high or the PH very low, that you can do for a very short period of time if you really have to.

On shocking the pool: you have it right. I would just clarify your write up to remind you that on the second and subsequent rounds you test the FC level and then only add enough bleach to get back up to shock level, which won't usually be as much as you used the first time.

So it seems implied that I can leave my pump running (and should). Got it. And my apologies for you not being able to post in that thread... I accidentally posted some info about that thread in another thread so the mods locked it.

Is the idea that I pour 207 oz. of 6% bleach in front of my return and let it sit for 30 minutes, then take another reading
Just a clarification......keep your pump running the entire time...."let it sit" sorta' sounds like you might want to turn the pump off.....don't do that.

and..Piku, your words sound like you were a little offended when your thread got locked......don't be. The mods do that when the same "story" is in two different threads. Knowing the history of your pool issues is very helpful to all of us when offering advice. Keeping that history in one thread really helps everyone follow the chain of events and give the best, most cohesive advice.

Dave, I'm not really offended but I felt the wrong thread was locked. When I pointed this out and asked for the lock to be switched to the other thread I was asked to continue the conversation on the other thread. Not a problem for me, but nobody else following the thread knows what happened and hence this thread being born which furthers the problem the mod was trying to solve. IMHO the proper course of action would be to move the 2 posts on the other thread over to the now locked thread and lock taht other thread since my question there was fully answered (regarding FAS-DPD turning pink again). Anyway, I don't really mind either way since I've gotten the help I need here :) Thanks again everyone.

It was not a mod who locked your other thread, it was me and I concluded with a link to this thread so that anyone who was following the other, would find this one.

Creating multiple threads about the same topic makes it far more difficult for everyone to offer help and follow the entire story. I realize you were breaking it down to seperate issues, but as I think you are finding out, one problem is often related to another.

In case anyone wants to be fully versed on piku's pool problems, please read the following threads:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

Thanks,
Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.