Can't get chlorine up - not sure what to do

Finally, tangible progress. This morning FC was at 12.5 and CC was still 0.5. I added enough to bring it back to 20. Checked about an hour and a half later and FC is 17.5, the highest I have ever seen it during this process. And CC is probably less than 0.5. Adding more again to bring it to 20.

My question is: the water is still just as cloudy as ever. It's plenty blue enough. Just cloudy. Is it s strict no-no to add a clarifier? Do you know why it would still be this cloudy?

Okay, results of overnight test: had FC at 20 the night before and it was 19 in the morning. Nice! Also, CC is no longer registering.

Still cloudy as ever. How long should I keep it at 20 if the cloudiness continues. I have a sand filter and keeping an eye on the pressure. When it gets 10 over a clean filter I backwash. Is a clarifier ever an option?

I can see that the water is, ever so slowly, beginning to clear of the cloudiness. Today I could see the bottom well enough that I was able to vacuum out the remaining leaves and some residual dead algae on the bottom. I'm checking twice a day now and keeping it at FC=20 until it is all the way clear.

I want to thank you all who helped me through this. I fear if I hadn't come across this website and forum I would be at the mercy of pool stores and their expensive chemicals, which, in the end would not have ultimately done what I needed them to. So again, I, along with every person who will enjoy our pool this summer, thanks you for your wisdom, knowledge and willingness to help.

One final question. Once the pool clears, I assume I just let the FC level drop naturally back down to the maintenance level. What level does it have to drop to in order to be safe to swim in?

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep up the good work :goodjob: til you pass the three criteria to be done shocking.

Yes, just let the FC drop back to maintenance level based on CYA.

We say it is safe to swim up to normal shock level based on your CYA. Now, this assumes the water is clear and CC is .5 or less :wink:

Now that I am in maintenance mode, I have another question. I am trying to hold the chlorine level around 6 to 7. I check it daily and it appears that I am adding about 160 to 180 ounces of 6% per day. Just curious if this sounds about correct? My CC is less than 0.5. Even though bleach is relatively cheap, adding it daily in this manner could add up. It is what it is, but I just wanted a reality check. Do I need to check and add every day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.