New Start-up with Auto-pilot- what to expect?

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Auto Pilot Dig 220- 30,000 gal inground vinyl. Opened pool yesterday and CYA was lower than 20- possibly zero. Added 12 lbs of CYA. I also added enough bleach to bring up to 12- nothing really showed up- the test stayed very light yellow. Also added 240 lbs of salt.

Here's my AutoPilot readings

Salt 3100
29v 6.5 a
64 degrees
Purifier set to 60%

I also ran boost for 24 hours- why is my cholrine not raising at all. All the stablizer is on the bottom of the pool, of course, and I know it may take a few days to dissolve. Why isn't my Auto Pilot producing chlorine (that I can tell) Is it because the sun is eating it up so fast? Is the voltage and amps ok?
I know the key is keeping bleach until the CYA can help (I think) I just can't believe Im getting no rise in CL levels, or just barely. I also am getting those little brwon algae looking thing starting to get on bottom- I sweep and later they come back.

First, you should vacuum up the stabilizer (don't backwash/clean the filter for a week afterwards). Leaving it sitting on the bottom of the pool can damage the pool surface and it will take longer to dissolve there then it will in the filter.

CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve. In the meantime you are losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight each day. The SWG can't keep up with that, so the FC level will tend to go towards zero. You need to shock manually and afterwards keep adding chlorine in the evenings until the CYA dissolves and the SWG can keep up.

Thanks Jason- I thought I always read to distribute in the pool- I don't use a vacuum as I have a robotic, so that could be a challenge- I'll locate one. I just did the better chlorine test (dpd or whatever) it was FC .5 and CC .5.

So it sounds like just keep adding bleach everyday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.