Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Start-up with Auto-pilot- what to expect?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Start-up with Auto-pilot- what to expect?

Auto Pilot Dig 220- 30,000 gal inground vinyl. Opened pool yesterday and CYA was lower than 20- possibly zero. Added 12 lbs of CYA. I also added enough bleach to bring up to 12- nothing really showed up- the test stayed very light yellow. Also added 240 lbs of salt.

Here's my AutoPilot readings

Salt 3100
    29v 6.5 a
    64 degrees
    Purifier set to 60%

I also ran boost for 24 hours- why is my cholrine not raising at all. All the stablizer is on the bottom of the pool, of course, and I know it may take a few days to dissolve. Why isn't my Auto Pilot producing chlorine (that I can tell) Is it because the sun is eating it up so fast? Is the voltage and amps ok?
    I know the key is keeping bleach until the CYA can help (I think) I just can't believe Im getting no rise in CL levels, or just barely. I also am getting those little brwon algae looking thing starting to get on bottom- I sweep and later they come back.
    20x40 In ground Grecian Lazy L- Vinyl
    AutoPilot SWG Dig-220, SC-48
    Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Blue Diamond Robotic Vacuum
    BBB method BABY!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Start-up with Auto-pilot- what to expect?

First, you should vacuum up the stabilizer (don't backwash/clean the filter for a week afterwards). Leaving it sitting on the bottom of the pool can damage the pool surface and it will take longer to dissolve there then it will in the filter.

CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve. In the meantime you are losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight each day. The SWG can't keep up with that, so the FC level will tend to go towards zero. You need to shock manually and afterwards keep adding chlorine in the evenings until the CYA dissolves and the SWG can keep up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason- I thought I always read to distribute in the pool- I don't use a vacuum as I have a robotic, so that could be a challenge- I'll locate one. I just did the better chlorine test (dpd or whatever) it was FC .5 and CC .5.

So it sounds like just keep adding bleach everyday.
    20x40 In ground Grecian Lazy L- Vinyl
    AutoPilot SWG Dig-220, SC-48
    Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Blue Diamond Robotic Vacuum
    BBB method BABY!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, give it another day and have the salt tested to ensure that it matches the DIG's display. Calibrate if needed. The volts are a bit on the high side, and amps are good (IF you're on Cell Power 2).
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com