Bigpool in Limbo-1/2 drained, 1/2 full all warts visible

bigpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
Deep South
Hello! Been using BBB for several years and could see all the warts in the pool. This patch on bottom painted tan was really ugly. So I drained it all and looked at the patch. Patch was gone, so I repatched with pool puddy and painted over it with white rubber pool paint. Got concerned pool might float and refilled to appx. 1/2.

It is unusually hot here and has been raining, so I knew I had to get some chlorine and MA in the pool. Added about 6 cups granulated calcium hypo. and knew PH was out of sight. Got the brilliant idea to just pour the MA down the sides and brush with some water to remove stains. What the MA hit cleaned very well. However, overnight these brown stains appeared at waterline, supply outlet and pump outlets. Have researched forums and assume this is iron and that I should have added MA before chlorine. Need to keep pool low for a week or two to try and faux finish and patch what I can. Can't afford to resurface or to fill in with dirt.

Chemical readings today: .5 chlorine
PH off the charts- over 8.2+
TA 220
CYA appx.0
CH Appx. 0

Source of water is well water with very high ph and no calcium.

1. Would like to try and remove some of the stains. I need to keep chlorine up and ph down. Need to add calcium. Plan is to balance what is in the pool now. It is HOT here and raining a lot. It could turn into an algae pit quickly if left with low chlorine. Any suggestions?

2. Have lots of seepage at deep end. Assume it is groundwater and old tar used to seal isn't sealing anymore. Would you use pool puddy to try and patch?

3. Do you think it would be harmful to leave pool as is (but doctor the chemicals) for a week or two until I can make some repairs (paint steps, puddy seepage at deep end)

4. Need to add granulated stabilizer. Am wondering if I could just add near pump outlet.

Thanks so much for reading. Will appreciate any help.

Pictures at http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p542/farmer1031/

1. If you really want to get after your stains, the chlorine will have to wait...your call.

2. Once your pool is full, groundwater should not seep in. I don't know what pool putty is but you may not need it once you fill up.

3. I don't know

4. Stabilizer is acidic. It must be added slowly into pool and not allowed to sit for any length of time without dissolving.

Thanks duraleigh. Sorry about the typo on putty. It is Atlas Epoxybond Pool Putty. It comes in two tubes and you cut off an equal amount of each and mix in your hands. Supposed to work underwater. $25 at the pool store for 14 oz. We are having a monsoon, so the pool may just fill up on its own and I can forget everything but adding chemicals.

Bought your TF-100 for this year. I really like it. Will buy again.

I think epoxy is one of the best things to use on the pool. I have used it in a variety of applications and it worked well. I still think the weight of the water in your pool will reverse any seepage but as long as you have access now, I would give it a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.