Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris question

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris question

currently have a 14 year old Polaris 380
    belts and wheels and various parts replaced over the years - last year I spent around $150 so I don't want to fix it again or replace any parts this year.

any recommendations or opinions on replacements? should I just get another 380 vs a different Polaris model?
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 19 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 2 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, Brand new Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Polaris question

The 380 is very popular and it's pretty bullet proof. I'd just buy another one if you're happy with the way it works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The 280 is also worth considering. It isn't quite as nice in some ways, but they tend to be a little more reliable than the 380.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mobile, Alabama

I've had a 280 in operation for three years and it's hard to imagine how anything could be any better. It runs about 3 hours every day and keeps the pool spotless. So far I have not had to do any maintenance or replace any parts. My only compliant it that it will get hung up behind the ladder in the deep end and the back-up valve will not pull it out. That does not happen very often, but it is an annoyance.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)