Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now I am thinking about adding boric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Now I am thinking about adding boric acid

Okay so its been about 40 - 50 days after the pool has been replastered. Now i am thinking about adding boric acid.

My numbers are

pH = 7.6 (it moves up 0.1 or there abouts every day)
    FC = 4.0 (drops about 0.60 ppm per day)
    TA = 50
    CH = 160
    CYA = 40

with those numbers my CSI = -0.24

So i wanted to add boric acid up to 50ppm, for my pool 18178gallons, thats 43lbs of boric acid.
    THis is all from the pool calculator. All of my numbers are good, except the CH is too low,

Wet edge (makers of the plaster) and the pool builder say that i should keep the pH at 7.6 but with the borates and my current CH the CSI = -0.3 which is "Potential to become corrosive to plaster"

But if i raised the CH to 250 my CSI becomes -0.14, which is balanced again.

So my "plan" is to raise the CH to 250 then add the boric acid.

The alternative is to leave the CH as it is adjust the pH to 7.8 (new target) then add boric acid.

So what should i do???
    Vince

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

The boric acid will somewhat lower the pH so if you don't want the pH getting too low then raise the pH first before adding the boric acid. As for the CH, you can set that to your target and might as well do that before adding boric acid though that's not a big deal doing it the other way around.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Now I am thinking about adding boric acid

I suggest you don't worry quite so much about CSI, and instead try to stay within the recommended levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Now I am thinking about adding boric acid

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I suggest you don't worry quite so much about CSI, and instead try to stay within the recommended levels.
    Okay seems that you are all saying is to increase the CH to the recommended levels. sounds good to me.