Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test!

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test!

So my kit finally arrived - Yay!!! Below are the results from my first test on the pool. The water is clear and sparkly and blue. I checked the inline chlorinator and there is nothing in it - so that is empty now. Nothing has been put into the pool since Wednesday of last week (so 9 days now).

Test results:
    2.6 ppm FC
    No CC present
    7.6 Ph
    70 ppm TA
    85 ppm Cyanuric Acid (I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly)

So... what's next?
    10,000 gallons, In ground, Gunnite pool
    Pentair Whisper Flo Cartridge filter system with inline 3" tablet chlorinator
    Using the BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test!

Did you test your CH?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

CYA of 85 is pretty high (unless you have a SWCG, then is just a LITTLE high). Unfortunately, the only way to lower CYA is by replacing some of the water. I would assume that inline chlorinator (and the pucks that went in it) is the culprit for high CYA.

At that CYA level, you should have a minimum of 6 FC (and a target of 9-10). You should first focus on getting proper FC levels (don't use pucks!), as you don't want to get an algae bloom.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, with CYA (cyanuric acid) level of 85, the maintenance FC needs to be between 7 and 12, and never below 7.

So, you need to add chlorine now.

It would probably be best to go ahead and do a little drain/refill to get your CYA down to about 50ppm. This will make managing your pool much easier.

Also, as zea asked, what is the CH level? Important # for a plaster pool.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

kk I will go add chlorine in the morning first thing. can I retest tomorrow evening or do I need to wait longer? i want to repeat the cya because i am not sure i did it properly after reading the instructions. also, i didn't do the ch test but will do it when I detest. Thank you for the feedback!
    Using the BBB method

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay so I repeated the CYA and it's still just above 80. My calcium Hardness is 540. So I did the pool calculator and did some reading and I really need to drain some of the pool water before doing anything else right?
    Using the BBB method

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

and I really need to drain some of the pool water before doing anything else right?
    Probably. What is the CH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay so I did a partial water change yesterday... I'm gunna guess based on how long I ran new water in while pumping water out that it was about a 15-17% water change? Added two cups of bleach after I finished the water change yesterday afternoon. Let everything run and cycle for 3 more hours yesterday and then 9 full hours today. Redid my tests and here's what I've got:

6.0 FC
    No CC
    7.6 Ph
    90 TA
    490 CH
    55 Cya
    87 degrees F water temp.
    Pool is still clear and blue and sparkly. Some of the stains from the previous algae bloom last month are starting to lighten up on the sidewalls of the pool (I'm assuming this is a good thing).

The CH on my fill water is 190. I can change more water out if I need to to bring the CH down more....
    Using the BBB method

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The CH on my fill water is 190. I can change more water out if I need to to bring the CH down more
    Rather thab drain/refill again, I suggest you just keep a close eye on your pH and keep it between 7.2 and 7.5. That will keep you from calcium scale.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do then!
    Using the BBB method