Airplane Nerd Stuff :)

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
I'd asked, in another thread, about preparations for an anticipated high bather load this weekend. The thread got taken a bit astray, as we started discussing airshows (an airshow being the reason for the expected gathering) and I posted a few photos and videos taken of early aircraft arrivals and practices.

Didn't wish to just go completely off topic over there, but a few people had expressed enjoyment of some of the photos, so thought I'd share a few from today. Had the opportunity to spend the entire day around many of the performers, and down on the ramp to watch practices, courtesy of Dan Buchanan's crew chief, Jason Pearson, a long time friend of mine in the RC world.

IMG_0681-vi.jpg

There were two highlights of the day for me.

First, and most importantly, I was able to introduce my son to a great many airshow performers, and show him a terrific day at the airport, around every type of airplane imaginable.

Here he is with Matt Chapman's bird...

IMG_0726-vi.jpg

I also got a treat of my own, as I was invited to ride the winch trailer and assist Jason with Dan's practice performance for the day. Here's Dan in his rig, as we taxi out from the hangar and head for the runway...

IMG_0466-vi.jpg

We also had some pretty decent seats for everyone's practice runs...

IMG_0858-vi.jpg

There's a few more at http://public.fotki.com/gboulton/airpla ... 012-05-11/ for those who enjoy such things. :)

gboulton said:
.... in the RC world.
Cool stuff. I've been wanting to get the kids down to the Pittsburgh show for years but it's never happened. We have to settle for the RC stuff at a semi-local RC field, which we loved.

The RC caught my eye because I'm new here leveling ground right now for a 22' pool. Wifey thinks it's for her and the kids to swim in, but that's not the reason for a pool. The real reason is because I'm ordering the new E-Flite Carbon Cub SS with floats :whoot: Need somewhere to land it in the back yard :mrgreen:

So, you have friends in the RC world? What do you fly? I just fly micros in my back yard, since behind my house is larger than both the local RC fields put together, hehehe. All I have is a PZ micro T-28 right now I've been flying since last year, but I'm watching the servo lockup mess on RCGroups to see if the reported problems start to decline before I pull the trigger and get me the Carbon Cub that was just released.

mrodgers said:
What do you fly?

The son flies a couple of different Blade micro helicopters, and has been flying a trainer since late last season...he'll probably solo on it some time this summer, I suspect.

I fly or have flown a little of everything, from micro helis to a 100cc Edge and Yak. The hangar currently includes a Senior Telemaster, 50cc RedDawg Aviation Edge 540, and some combat foamies. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.