Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: might have a bad pump

might have a bad pump

I have a 3 year old proline cartridge filter with a 2 hp pump for my 30 round above ground pool. Just fired it up for the first time this season and the pump sounds weird. Like there is something in the fan or maybe bearings going.

are there any common pump problems that are easily repaired by a novice.? what should I look at or try aside from going out and buying a new pump.

Its still working by the way it just sounds awful.

Thanks
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

Re: might have a bad pump

You can check the impeller to see if anything is caught in there. Some folks replace the bearings. You can search YouTube to see if this is something you think you could do.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Upper Texas Coast

Re: might have a bad pump

Quote Originally Posted by ducati1212
    Its still working by the way it just sounds awful.
    Besides the sound, what else is going on? Is it hot? How is the water flow?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry