Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine holding but still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine holding but still cloudy

I've got my free chlorine holding now but the pool is still really cloudy. I've been brushing and vacuuming daily. Test from this evening show:

FC: 32
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 300???
    CYA: 80
    CH: 90

I had to guess at the TA. The kit says it will go from green to red. Mine went from green to blue to yellow then I stopped adding reagent when the color stopped changing. So I really don't know what TA is. Is there anything else I should do or just keep vacuuming and brushing for a while longer? I do have the SWG running and I'm sure that is helping with the FC levels.
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine holding but still cloudy

How long has it been since you passed the over night test? Have you been running the filter 24/7 during the shock process? Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter if it has been a few days since you passed the test?

Have you tried to run the TA test again? How old are the reagents?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    How long has it been since you passed the over night test? Have you been running the filter 24/7 during the shock process? Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter if it has been a few days since you passed the test?

Have you tried to run the TA test again? How old are the reagents?
    I passed the overnight from last night. The filter has been going 24/7 for about a week of shocking. I have never used DE before but I only put the pool in last summer. I didn't try the TA test again but the reagents are new. I just got them a few weeks ago.
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

What does the DE do?

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding a little DE to a sand filter tends to improve the filtering.

It can take a sand filter up to a week (or perhaps more) to completely clear up a cloudy pool. You should see a visible improvement in the water clarity each day. If you aren't seeing any improvement then worry, but otherwise let the filter do it's job and backwash as needed when the pressure goes up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Try running the TA test again. Double check that you have the right reagents and instructions and rinse the test vial with pool water before you start.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Also with the TA test, wipe the bottle dropper tip at least every other drop with a damp cloth. This would remove a possibility of static affecting the size of the drop and skewing the test results.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I ran the TA test again.

I rinsed with pool water first
    Filled the large vial to 25ml
    Added 2 drops of R-007
    Added 5 drops of R-008
    Added 12 drops of R-009 swirling after each drop, I did not wipe the bottle though
    After the 12th drop it turned yellow like below. I did the test a few days ago and it turned red like its supposed to but now it won't.

9. Back To Top    #9

I may have found the answer here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-t...art-t2724.html

"At high chlorine levels, the TA test goes from blue to yellow instead of from green to red so your TA is 150 ppm."

That would put my TA at 120.

10. Back To Top    #10

I tested this morning and FC went from 32 last night to 34.5 this morning. CC is somewhere between 0 and 0.5. It turns a very light pink and disappears completely with 1 drop.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to confirm....did you turn off the SWG while doing the overnight test?

FC should not go up overnight.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes the segment was running at 100%. Should I shut it off when shocking?

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, shut off while shocking (goes easier on the equipment), and leave it off when doing the OCLT.

Your nighttime reading was 32. You may have lost 4ppm to organics, but the SWG put out 6.5, bringing you to the 34.5 in the morning. Make sense?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes that does make sense. I'll shock without the swg and see what I get.