Can I remove my light niche for cleaning?

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
I can see algae inside my light niche's. I'm wondering if I can remove them for cleaning. The light power unit is super vision international series 250H. I think it is considered fiber optic lighting. The niche is about the same size as a return fitting. It has a clear plastic lens with two small holes in the lens. Can I remove the lens to clean inside?

It "Should" be installed with a glued fitting or watertite fitting/gasket, otherwise it would leak. Most installers will leave enough slack on the light source end so you can pull the light fixure above water to inspect it. From there, you'd have to take a closer look to see if it is capable of disassembly.

Thanks, I don't think I'm loosing any water so it should not be a problem. It almost looks like the lens is screwed into a normal return fitting. I think I can see threads through the lens. It looks like I would need a special two pronged tool to twist out the fitting, but I don't think there is any reason to mess with it at this time.

Yes, it should be a standard Hayward SP-1022 wall fitting that the fiberoptic light is threaded into. That part of your light can be removed from the wall fitting, and as I said, there should be enough slack back at the light source, to pull the light to deck level for servicing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.