Pool Frog question/opinions

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
Hi
I have been using the frog system for 14 years. replace the mineral pack every year, pool season is about 4.5 mths long.
some staining over the years, some algea occasionally. But I add chlorine powder (Leslies power powder plus usually about every 3 to 5 days depending on the weather) in addition to the Frog tablet insertsI
overall fairly satisfied but wondering if I should continue this or switch to BBB or if I could be asking for trouble after this long using the frog system..(I hate paying $110 for the mineral insert (current price) and another $100 for 6 inserts that last 8 to 10 days each)
need some expert opinions.....thx

Hi, welcome to TFP! We have quite a few members who converted to the bbb method after using pool frog and other mineral based systems, it is not difficult to do. BBB is all about accurate testing and keeping the water balanced. If you could post a complete set of recent test results. (FC, TA,pH,CH,CYA) we can tell you what you would need to do to get started.

But after testing (depending on results)
- should I use liquid chlorine or household bleach?
- do i need some type of tabular chlorine to replace the frog insert?
or do I just add some liquid chlorine every 3 days (for example) and only use a frog insert (with tabs) when i am going to be on vacation for more than a few days.....

The key is measuring your levels and adding what needs to be added.

Liquid chlorine vs bleach - which ever is less expensive or more convent for you.

No, stay away from the chlorine tablets, except for vacations.

so to summarize
- no need to replace the Frog mineral insert (nobody is sure what it actually does - its probably like using nothing?)
- no need to replace the Frog tab inserts (keep around when your pool is open if you are away for a week or so)
- test using a recommended test kit - adding chemicals via the BBB method
- use liquid chlorine or bleach as needed (probably every 2 or 3 days) - but if its easier use powder like Leslie's power powder plus

just want to confirm my assumptions about the Frog mineral insert....over the years my water quality has been good, and occasional algae late in the summer... but don't want to waste $110 if its not needed.

my pool is in ground 600 sq ft (approx 30,000 gallons) - with a raised 10 foot diameter spa.

If you were getting algae late in the season your water wasn't good. If you'll follow the method taught here you won't have to worry about late season algae blooms.

Get to know what your pool needs and what to add to it.
If you decide to use Leslie's power powder plus be aware of the CH. Leslie's power powder adds calcium so each addition will increase it until it gets to the point of scaling.

good to know about the frog mineral pack...have had stains crop up over the years.....some still there that Jacks and that vitamin C tabs did not remove. (I will search the forum for stain removal suggestions)

referring to the calcium added by Leslie's power powder plus...I have had some scaling, usually can brush or in worse case pumice away..(I guess pumice not good since you are sanding away the plaster)

is there a better powder that is as strong ? or is this why the recommended method is to use liquid chlorine/bleach?

thanks for the tips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Removing the pool frog was the best thing I ever did. Can't believe I used to spend ten times the money (yes, ten times!) for worse water quality.

Read the Pool School a couple times and ask any questions you have. The hardest part is changing your thinking, the actual maintenance is surprisingly simple.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.