Boric Acid question.

Jun 25, 2011
So, my TA is a little high, not to much I'd like it lower but its not to the point where I need to mess with it, and PH is honestly perfect. At this point I'm just trying to get my water crystal clear and silky. So going to start fussing with the borates and see what I can do. I know that if you add Borax you have to add 31.45% muriatic acid to compensate for the pH increase. That is all fine and good, but if I used Boric Acid I wouldn't have to add any muriatic acid at all? Is that understanding correct?

If so where can I get Boric Acid cheap? I need 7 and a half gallons. -- Or is a lot cheaper just to use the Muriatic Acid and Borax even though you risk the pH changing.

Helltech said:
So, my TA is a little high
How high? It is really hard to adjust once borates are in the pool. I can be done but it is more difficult. Borates are a ph buffer similar in effect to TA.

Helltech said:
If so where can I get Boric Acid cheap?
I got mine at dudadiesel.com It made sense to me to do it this way since the cost was close.

Yeah that's what I thought so I didn't want to bother trying to lower it and lower it too much on accident or change anything else since everything is better than it has been in many years. So I figure the only way to get it crystal clear, since all my levels are good, is to start using borates, I just wanted to go with the simplest route.

EDIT - So 10 pounds of Boric Acid is 55 dollars?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.