Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric Acid question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric Acid question.

So, my TA is a little high, not to much I'd like it lower but its not to the point where I need to mess with it, and PH is honestly perfect. At this point I'm just trying to get my water crystal clear and silky. So going to start fussing with the borates and see what I can do. I know that if you add Borax you have to add 31.45% muriatic acid to compensate for the pH increase. That is all fine and good, but if I used Boric Acid I wouldn't have to add any muriatic acid at all? Is that understanding correct?

If so where can I get Boric Acid cheap? I need 7 and a half gallons. -- Or is a lot cheaper just to use the Muriatic Acid and Borax even though you risk the pH changing.
    30,000 Gallon, Above Ground, Vinyl, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Boric Acid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltech
    So, my TA is a little high
    How high? It is really hard to adjust once borates are in the pool. I can be done but it is more difficult. Borates are a ph buffer similar in effect to TA.

If so where can I get Boric Acid cheap?
    I got mine at dudadiesel.com It made sense to me to do it this way since the cost was close.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

My TA is at 108 right now.

4. Back To Top    #4

My TA is at 108 right now.
    Well that's not bad starting point for a non-swg pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah that's what I thought so I didn't want to bother trying to lower it and lower it too much on accident or change anything else since everything is better than it has been in many years. So I figure the only way to get it crystal clear, since all my levels are good, is to start using borates, I just wanted to go with the simplest route.

EDIT - So 10 pounds of Boric Acid is 55 dollars?

6. Back To Top    #6

I have seen far better prices than that. The Chemistry Store and Duda Diesel both have good prices.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I have seen far better prices than that. The Chemistry Store and Duda Diesel both have good prices.
    Duda Diesel was were I looked, but I I guess i was looking at the food grade version, whoops :P

Thank you.

EDIT - So do I want powder or granular?

8. Back To Top    #8

It doesn't matter, both will dissolve plenty fast enough.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks so much. You guys are a big help