New Pool Owner - Recommended Equipment

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I just want to make sure I have all of the equipment I will need to keep it clean and operating correctly:

1) Automatic Pool Cleaner - Do I really need one? If so, which one is recommended from my pool size (goes 8 feet deep) 20x40.

2) Brush - Should I buy a $15 one on amazon or more expensive one at Leslies - Whale?

3) Vacuum - I have one that looks like this, do I need something else? I have a vinyl lining.
http://www.amazon.com/Swimline-8150-Wei ... 893&sr=8-6

4) Leaf Rakes - I have 2 so I am good there.

5) Anything else I am missing here?

6) Pressure gauge - I have a hayward sand filter and my pressure gauge is broken, where can I find one that is reasonably priced?

Last edited:
Well just let me jump in here with "my" experience...please don't confuse my opinion with valid facts!!!
Don't "need" robot cleaner, but sure makes life nice. I'm on the 5th year of my TigerShark (now Hayward). Does a very good job and doesn't rely on pool pressure/suction etc. I just like to watch it climb the walls.
Got a Walmart around? Basic brush is $12-13. Heard good things about the "Whale", but no experience.
Vacumn...I have used mine one time in 5 years...TigerShark does that for me.
Got a Lowe's around there? Take the old guage with you and match. My local have several model with different ranges.
You didn't mention test kit. My TF-100 has saved me WAY more than I could have ever imagined.
Good luck and enjoy!!!!!

Make sure the vacuum is designed for use on vinyl liners. A vacuum designed for plaster surfaces can cut or tear the liner. If you are not sure, replace it. Whether or not you need an auto cleaner or robot depends on how much debris falls into the pool. If you have a lot of trees nearby or a lot of debris gets blown into your yard then you may want to invest in an auto cleaner. If your debris load is light a weekly vacuuming may be all you need.

zea3 said:
If your debris load is light a weekly vacuuming may be all you need.
Can anyone recommend a manual vacuum head? I broke mine today when the suction trapped it on the floor and I snapped the brittle plastic. I've got an aluminum pole and a vinyl liner. I'd like to just buy the tiny part that probably costs $3, but so far I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.