CYA levels in a salt pool without SWG

Sep 12, 2011
Covington, Ohio
I'm thinking about adding salt to my pool without installing a SWG. I believe I read somewhere on here a recommended salt level of 2000 ppm, vs. a higher level when using a SWG.

Now I know that CYA for a SWG pool should be 70-80, and 30-50 for a regular pool. My CYA is currently at 40.
My question is this: Do I need to raise my CYA when adding 2000 ppm salt to my pool? If so, how much??

Thanks for your input!

Circles47 said:
Now I know that CYA for a SWG pool should be 70-80, and 30-50 for a regular pool. My CYA is currently at 40.
My question is this: Do I need to raise my CYA when adding 2000 ppm salt to my pool? If so, how much??
No, that higher recommendation is only when running the swg and not due to just having salt in the water. If 40 ppm cya worked for you before, it should work now.

Well, since you said you were thinking about adding salt......

you might want to test the salt level before you add any. Here's a snippet:

JasonLion said:
Water never starts with a salt level of zero (expect distilled water). Then, just about every pool chemical includes some salt. The longer you have had your pool in operation, the higher the salt level will be. Typically the salt level when you never intentionally added salt maxes out around 2000 after a couple of years (because there is always some water replacement diluting the added salt). While the salt level will be much lower if you just filled the pool.

Ok, so I was doing more than thinking! :mrgreen: Actually, I had already bought 200 lbs of salt, and a salt test kit. Because of my water replacement this spring due to high CYA, my salt levels were around 350 ppm. Pool Calc said to add 213 lbs salt to reach 2000 ppm salt content, so my initial purchase of 200 lbs was pretty close. The salt is already in and dissolving!

That's interesting tho, that over a few years use, the salt will climb to 2000 max....I never would have guessed that it would climb that high on it's own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.