Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA levels in a salt pool without SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels in a salt pool without SWG

I'm thinking about adding salt to my pool without installing a SWG. I believe I read somewhere on here a recommended salt level of 2000 ppm, vs. a higher level when using a SWG.

Now I know that CYA for a SWG pool should be 70-80, and 30-50 for a regular pool. My CYA is currently at 40.
    My question is this: Do I need to raise my CYA when adding 2000 ppm salt to my pool? If so, how much??

Thanks for your input!
    Sharkline 24' round AG, 15,200 gal, vinyl liner, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1-1/2 hp pump, Hayward S210T 200 lb.sand filter, Rheem 100 cfh heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA levels in a salt pool without SWG

Quote Originally Posted by Circles47
    Now I know that CYA for a SWG pool should be 70-80, and 30-50 for a regular pool. My CYA is currently at 40.
    My question is this: Do I need to raise my CYA when adding 2000 ppm salt to my pool? If so, how much??
    No, that higher recommendation is only when running the swg and not due to just having salt in the water. If 40 ppm cya worked for you before, it should work now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, thanks Linen for the prompt reply!
    Sharkline 24' round AG, 15,200 gal, vinyl liner, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1-1/2 hp pump, Hayward S210T 200 lb.sand filter, Rheem 100 cfh heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, since you said you were thinking about adding salt......

you might want to test the salt level before you add any. Here's a snippet:

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Water never starts with a salt level of zero (expect distilled water). Then, just about every pool chemical includes some salt. The longer you have had your pool in operation, the higher the salt level will be. Typically the salt level when you never intentionally added salt maxes out around 2000 after a couple of years (because there is always some water replacement diluting the added salt). While the salt level will be much lower if you just filled the pool.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I was doing more than thinking! Actually, I had already bought 200 lbs of salt, and a salt test kit. Because of my water replacement this spring due to high CYA, my salt levels were around 350 ppm. Pool Calc said to add 213 lbs salt to reach 2000 ppm salt content, so my initial purchase of 200 lbs was pretty close. The salt is already in and dissolving!

That's interesting tho, that over a few years use, the salt will climb to 2000 max....I never would have guessed that it would climb that high on it's own.

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright! You got it covered and good on you
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!