Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Renter's guide to pool care

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central Kentucky

Renter's guide to pool care

I have a rental property that has a pool. I've been working on that pool for the last week getting it open. You can see my post about it in the "just getting started" section. Since it is a rental property, I'm not going to be going there every day to check on the state of things so I want to make a check list of sorts for my renter to go by on general daily, or every few day, checks that need to be done.

Do any of you have a situation like this? Do you have a list you give to your renter with the necessary info? Any ideas on the best way to handle this situation? I'm new to rental property management but the renter has agreed to assist in the maintenance of the pool and has a limited knowledge of pools.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW Metro

Re: Renter's guide to pool care

Don't count on a tenant to care for the pool. Hire a service and include the cost in the rent.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

I tend to agree with the comment above, if it is a very good renter then they MAY call you if the pump dies or something, more likely you will get a call at some point saying the pool turned into swamp a few weeks ago and the kids have an ear infection and they want you to pay the doctor's bill. Get a service, make sure they are insured and pass along the cost to the renter.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

I would also have to agree with the above posts...BUT, do not just hire ANY pool service. Since you are already aware/active on TFP, you are ahead of most pool owners (and even SOME pool service companies). If it were me, I would interview several pool service options, and ask them about their pool management plan. In some cases, pool service techs will show up, throw in a trichlor puck, and then leave. Ask them about their target levels for your pool, and how they plan to maintain them. Of course, speak with references if possible.