Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex pool no test kit available

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex pool no test kit available

I got an Intex metal frame pool last week. I was told at the store I only had 5 days to check for leaks so I assembled it, filled it with water and there are no leaks.
    I've never had any sort of pool before, I read at Pool School what I needed to maintain the water and I've been looking for a test kit, they were out at Home Depot and Walmart, they told me I could come back in a week to check.
    Is there something I can add to the water in the meantime? The pool has been full for five days now and the liner walls are getting a bit slimy or should I drain it instead?

Thank you!
    10' x 30'' Intex Metal Frame AGP
    Filter Pump with 530 gallon (2,006 L) per hour flow rate (cartridge)
    Water Capacity (90%): 1,185 Gal (4,485 L)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New Intex pool no test kit available

Where are you located?
    You need to learn to use the Pool Calc and add 2 ppm of FC in it each day until you get at least some type of test kit. If it's already turning green then it may be better to drain and refill it and start over.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hamilton, NJ

If you're new to pools I can't recommend the salt water generator more highly. easy to maintain, no crazy chemicals and really maintains itself. Good luck!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

4. Back To Top    #4

Augusta, Kansas

I bought the TF100 and love it! I've been using it weekly since April and have a crystal clear pool. The first responder to your post has a link where you can buy it. It's worth the money and the peace of mind.

15,000 salty gallons - 32' x 16' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir