Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: going from green to clear - FC does not seem to be dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

going from green to clear - FC does not seem to be dropping

Hello, I fired up the filter and removed the cover on Monday. Following the instructions in the Swamp to Oasis thread, I added bleach. I tested a half hour later and had a FC level of 18 (using the TFTestKit). I checked again an hour later and it was the same.

I have added very little bleach since then, and my level is still staying around 20. It is barely dropping at all and I have yet to see it go below 18.

We have had a lot of rain the past few days, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. The greenness is still at about the same level as when I started. Last year, using the same methods, my FC dropped dramatically each hour for the first few days.

Any ideas what is going on?

My other test readings:

PH 7.7
    TA 100
    CYA 40
    Proud Lifetime Supporter of TFP!
    30,000 gal Lazy L shaped IGP (approx 40x20 - 3' shallow - 8' deep)-Installed in mid 90's - Acquired by me in 2008
    Hayward Pump and Sand Filter (Specs Unknown)
    Hayward Inline Chlorine Feeder
    Summit Sum7 Titanium Electric Heat Pump Heater
    Kenmore Dedicated Beer Fridge (5 case capacity) Currently stocked with a variety of Craft Beer.
    Kenmore Converted Kegerator with 3 taps currently serving Snake Hill Brew Co IPA, Snake Hill Brew Co Blueberry Wheat, and Snake Hill Brew Co Root Beer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: going from green to clear - FC does not seem to be dropp

When was the last time you backwashed the filter?
    Inground Gunite Pool -- Unsure of Pool Size -- Sand WaterCo. T500 Filter -- Hayward SuperPump II (not sure flow)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Count yourself lucky. It is certainly unusual that your FC hasn't dropped (you're not running a chlorinator or SWG, are you?) but it should be easy for you to keep the FC where you want it for the duration of the process.

Wish I could explain it better but there is certainly nothing wrong with what's happening in your pool. It'll drop in time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I backwashed yesterday afternoon.

My chlorinator is turned off (at least I think it is... I guess I need to double check)
    30,000 gal Lazy L shaped IGP (approx 40x20 - 3' shallow - 8' deep)-Installed in mid 90's - Acquired by me in 2008
    Kenmore Dedicated Beer Fridge (5 case capacity) Currently stocked with a variety of Craft Beer.
    Kenmore Converted Kegerator with 3 taps currently serving Snake Hill Brew Co IPA, Snake Hill Brew Co Blueberry Wheat, and Snake Hill Brew Co Root Beer

5. Back To Top    #5

Dave,

My test kit is stored in a cool dark place. I got it late summer 2010. Should I replace any of my kit? Could I be getting inaccurate numbers because it is old?

6. Back To Top    #6

When you backwashed, was the water exiting discolored or clear? It may just be a matter of time. I have read a lot about the Cl not being used much at all, and then all of a sudden it kicks in and starts burning up!

If you run the pump for a while, and the backwash is clear to start, it may indicate something with your filter, but I wouldnt go down that route yet!
    Inground Gunite Pool -- Unsure of Pool Size -- Sand WaterCo. T500 Filter -- Hayward SuperPump II (not sure flow)