Too much Muriatic Acid

VG

May 11, 2012
Beautiful Georgia
HELP......my PH level was high and read to add 2 quarts of Muriatic Acid around the perimeter of the pool to lower the level. Well I did that then i noticed it said DO NOT add more than 1 quart in a 24 hour period......What is this going to do since I added it all at once?????

:shock:

Welcome to TFP!
There's really no harm in adding more than a quart at once (I do it all the time), but it can be difficult to accurately calculate how much the pH will change when you add a whole lot at once. It's easy to overshoot. Don't worry, just test your pH again and see where it ended up.

VG said:
Thank you!!! I read it could cause harm to my equipment and I have been sick over it.........what a relief!!

Acids can cause harm to equipment if not properly applied. Since I have a vinyl covered pool, I take the precaution of first diluting the acid before adding it to the pool and slowly pouring it into the deep end right over the return to get it circulating quickly. I follow up immediately with a compete brushing of the surfaces of the liner to prevent any accumulation there and to hasten the mixing process. Having been the victim in the past of premature liner dysfunction, I have taken these precautions and they have worked out well. The current liner is six years old, and still tight as a drum. Of course if you don't have a vinyl liner, you're probably ok just pouring the acid in the deep end over the return. Never pour it directly into the skimmer box particularly if you have a heater, saltwater generator, or any equipment attached to your system that would be prone to acid corrosion.

I made the mistake myself just this morning. PH was 7.8, wanted to lower to 7.2 ( rising ph with swcg) Calculator said 2qts + 2cups. Added. Then read on bottom "effects of adding 80 oz 31.4%" =1.49 drop in ph. Almost panicked, checked hr later & throughout the day, landed on 7.0. Turns out I had been playing around with borates addition in the calculator & with 50ppm borates, that would have been correct. w/o borates, 55 oz. By the way, since putting up my vinyl lined pool in the mid 90's, I have always added muratic directly in front of a return, slowly. I'm still on the original liner.

ultra800_96 said:
Then read on bottom "effects of adding 80 oz 31.4%" =1.49 drop in ph. Almost panicked, checked hr later & throughout the day, landed on 7.0. Turns out I had been playing around with borates addition in the calculator & with 50ppm borates, that would have been correct. w/o borates, 55 oz.
I am not sure of all the "behind the scenes" calculating that "effects" section does, but I find it is pretty basic and must ignore some of the other factors. For ph, I always play with the numbers above...and that seems to give me better predictions.

ultra800_96 said:
I have always added muratic directly in front of a return, slowly. I'm still on the original liner.

I will add it directly in front of return in deep end from now on. I have only been a pool owner since last Oct when it was complete so I am still learning the ropes. Thanks! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.