Benefit of hard plumbing?

May 26, 2011
I have looked at some of the threads on PVC plumbing but want to know what the benefit is over flexible hose. I have a 16' round ultra frame intex. Also, I went to my local pool store and they would not sell me a skimmer because I have an intex pool. What aftermarket skimmer is recommended for intex? Lastly I want to get a vacuum for the pool. I was floored by the prices at the pool store. Any suggestions?

I bought a basic Hayward kit on Amazon and used it to pipe up my new Hayward filter on my Intex pool. I did sort of a partial hard pipe because I wanted valves in the lines so I can shut them for cleaning the pump leaf basket, and I didn't want to run long hoses for everything to reach.

Lattimer said:
I did sort of a partial hard pipe because I wanted valves in the lines so I can shut them for cleaning the pump leaf basket, and I didn't want to run long hoses for everything to reach.

I'm facing virtually the same considerations for my AGP - the need to incorporate some hard piping in sections of otherwise clamped hosing - like yourself, I'm adding a shut-off valve in the suction line for cleaning the pump strainer, and in the return line want to avoid trailing longer sections of hose on the gravel or stringing it up without secure support.

I'm interested to know whether you glued your hose (I'm assuming 'spa hose' a.k.a pvc flex pipe) to hard pipe fittings or used clamped adapters?

One of the two pool stores in my locale, both of which do a lot of installations, always clamp, but advised against using the glue-in, end-piece PVC fittings that have a molded barb; better to use the black (nylon?) screw-in (1-1/2" MPT) barb-tail adapters because they are easier to insert into the hose and apparently hold better, even though the barbed section is shorter.

The other store favored gluing so long as the solvent is one specifically intended for flex pipe, care is taken to do it properly (stressing importance of the quarter-twist) and ideally the welds are given time to fully cure. The solvent (Weld-On 795) they recommended I had already bought at a plumbing store.

http://www.ipscorp.com/weldon/regularvo ... pvcflexpvc

In favor of the clamping approach, in my existing system I've never had a clamped-hose connection blow, and if a minor leak should develop (at the taped-screw or clamped barb joints), at least they can be tightened up, and if necessary redone. Other the other hand, gluing, means fewer fittings that could leak and an overall 'cleaner' look.

The question is - which is the more secure, in the longer term? Flex pipe, by nature does expand in warmer weather and whilst I can see some 'balooning' around the older clamped connections in my existing system, they are still very secure, with no visible cracking. Can the same be said for glued hose-to-PVC slip-fitting connections? I don't doubt that the pvc weld itself is strong - it's more whether stress on the joint has greater potential for developing cracks/tears between the hose ribs, especially where solvent might have weakened the hose PVC at the neck of the fitting?

Yeah, having no experience with glued hose connections, I am a bit more inclined to go that route, even if it looks more of a 'patch up job' with clamps everywhere.

My under-skimmer 3-way valve likewise has barbed hose connections - I was thinking of maybe replacing it, but it's locked in so tight that I can't unscrew it without fear of damaging the skimmer. Plus I don't really have the means for securing/supporting more extensive hard-piping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.