Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Benefit of hard plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Benefit of hard plumbing?

I have looked at some of the threads on PVC plumbing but want to know what the benefit is over flexible hose. I have a 16' round ultra frame intex. Also, I went to my local pool store and they would not sell me a skimmer because I have an intex pool. What aftermarket skimmer is recommended for intex? Lastly I want to get a vacuum for the pool. I was floored by the prices at the pool store. Any suggestions?
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Benefit of hard plumbing?

You found a pool store that turned down a sale?

Find another store, lol.

Our local pool store has a nice Hayward widemouth skimmer for $43.99.

Good Luck
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

3. Back To Top    #3

Benefit of hard plumbing?

They want me to buy one of their "real" pools.
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The advantage of hard plumb is that you won't blow a hose, if that happens and your not home the pump will fry.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought a basic Hayward kit on Amazon and used it to pipe up my new Hayward filter on my Intex pool. I did sort of a partial hard pipe because I wanted valves in the lines so I can shut them for cleaning the pump leaf basket, and I didn't want to run long hoses for everything to reach.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, 1 HP - 2 speed Hayward Max-Flo II pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin DX3

6. Back To Top    #6

You will also notice more consistency (better) suction while vacuuming.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lattimer
    I did sort of a partial hard pipe because I wanted valves in the lines so I can shut them for cleaning the pump leaf basket, and I didn't want to run long hoses for everything to reach.
    I'm facing virtually the same considerations for my AGP - the need to incorporate some hard piping in sections of otherwise clamped hosing - like yourself, I'm adding a shut-off valve in the suction line for cleaning the pump strainer, and in the return line want to avoid trailing longer sections of hose on the gravel or stringing it up without secure support.

I'm interested to know whether you glued your hose (I'm assuming 'spa hose' a.k.a pvc flex pipe) to hard pipe fittings or used clamped adapters?

One of the two pool stores in my locale, both of which do a lot of installations, always clamp, but advised against using the glue-in, end-piece PVC fittings that have a molded barb; better to use the black (nylon?) screw-in (1-1/2" MPT) barb-tail adapters because they are easier to insert into the hose and apparently hold better, even though the barbed section is shorter.

The other store favored gluing so long as the solvent is one specifically intended for flex pipe, care is taken to do it properly (stressing importance of the quarter-twist) and ideally the welds are given time to fully cure. The solvent (Weld-On 795) they recommended I had already bought at a plumbing store.

http://www.ipscorp.com/weldon/regularvo ... pvcflexpvc

In favor of the clamping approach, in my existing system I've never had a clamped-hose connection blow, and if a minor leak should develop (at the taped-screw or clamped barb joints), at least they can be tightened up, and if necessary redone. Other the other hand, gluing, means fewer fittings that could leak and an overall 'cleaner' look.

The question is - which is the more secure, in the longer term? Flex pipe, by nature does expand in warmer weather and whilst I can see some 'balooning' around the older clamped connections in my existing system, they are still very secure, with no visible cracking. Can the same be said for glued hose-to-PVC slip-fitting connections? I don't doubt that the pvc weld itself is strong - it's more whether stress on the joint has greater potential for developing cracks/tears between the hose ribs, especially where solvent might have weakened the hose PVC at the neck of the fitting?
    "Inherited" Cornelius 18'x54" Round AGP (Steel walls), Hayward Pro Series 21" Sand Filter, ClubPro (Jacuzzi) 1HP single speed pump, Lumi-O Festiva steps, Toile-Soleil mesh leaf net/winter cover. That's about it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I ended my glued pvc with a threaded fitting, and used the threaded hose attachements that came with Hayward skimmer and return to connect to my hoses with clamps. So far so good.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, 1 HP - 2 speed Hayward Max-Flo II pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin DX3

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, having no experience with glued hose connections, I am a bit more inclined to go that route, even if it looks more of a 'patch up job' with clamps everywhere.

My under-skimmer 3-way valve likewise has barbed hose connections - I was thinking of maybe replacing it, but it's locked in so tight that I can't unscrew it without fear of damaging the skimmer. Plus I don't really have the means for securing/supporting more extensive hard-piping.
    "Inherited" Cornelius 18'x54" Round AGP (Steel walls), Hayward Pro Series 21" Sand Filter, ClubPro (Jacuzzi) 1HP single speed pump, Lumi-O Festiva steps, Toile-Soleil mesh leaf net/winter cover. That's about it.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can mow around it. You don't have to always buy adapters to work with the intex fittings. Your suction is probably 3 times as much.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

11. Back To Top    #11

I hard plumbed my pool last weekend. The suction on the pool vac is substantially greater than it was with the flexible Hayward hoses that came with the pool.
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

1 foot of couragated pipe equals about 120 ft of same nominal size hard pipe, a regular 1.5" 90 deg ell equals 7.4 ft of straight pipe. A 4ft couragated hose equals a heck of a lot of hard pipe.
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels