Algae-High CYA-Pool needs draining-high temps

May 9, 2012
I am new to this forum but need advice. I have read a great deal on this website, which has been very helpful. Thank you!

Problem 1-I have algae, water has greenish tint.

Problem 2-I purchased a good test kit and my CYA is OTC (off the chart-over 100) so it appears I need to drain the pool to get the CYA down in order to have the shock process work.

Problem 3-I live in the Phoenix AZ area and it is already into the 100 degree temps during the day. I have also researched and it appears a pool should not be drained during this type of heat. The nighttime temps are in the high 60's and low 70's.

Would you recommend I drain the pool anyway since the 100 degree heat cools down at night? I don't want to live with an algae problem all summer and wait until the heat subsides to drain the pool this fall.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

12K gal
cartridge filter
IG/pebble tec
IG pop up cleaning system
2 Emerson 1 hp pumps (I think)

Chris, rather than a drain, you have the RO/Reverse Osmosis treatment available in your area thru Calsaway.
They come out and 'clean' your water. Don't know the cost.

Other than water replacement, an RO treatment is the only other way.

You can do a series of partial drains and refills and lower the actual level very little. I takes a little more water but is safer than a total drain in your hot climate.

You can also drain from the deep end on the bottom and refill simultaneously from the surface of the shallow end. If you do that you will never change your water level.

There are a couple of other creative things you can do but the idea is you don't drain the whole pool at once.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I read on your website that an R/O process would also work but was unsure if it involves installing and buying more equipment. Had no idea that someone could come out and do it for me! I'll try and find the Calsaway info and get in touch with them. I also have a call into a pool guy to drain the pool and if he calls back, I will ask about the draining/filling at the same time.

I appreciate the help!

Chris

12K gal
cartidge filter
IG/pebbletec

Just looked at the Calsaway website. They don't do green water or algae laden pools. Thought I'd post that so others will know. Looks like I will need to do the draining/fillling option.

Chris

12K gal
cartridge
IG/pebbletec

You're welcome :-D

Here's their link (I think) for more information: http://www.calsawayphoenixwest.com/

Please post back when you decide which you will do (drain or RO) and let us know the cost of each. Thanks!

ETA: Okay, you checked with them already. That is sad. I was thinking that the vid in their website was from an algae laden green pool. I will need to take another look at that. Sorry, Chris.

This is the most creative way of changing out water that I've seen.
JamesW said:
What you might want to try:

1) Put a small submersible pump in the deep end with a garden hose connected to carry the water out of the pool.

2) Cover the pool with a large sheet of plastic.

3) Begin adding water on top of the sheet of plastic, and begin pumping water out of the deep end using the submersible pump.

4) Adjust the fill speed to match the drain speed.

The plastic sheet will slowly descend into the pool as the water fills on top and drains from below. Make sure that the plastic is large enough to accommodate the full surface area + the depth + a little extra. Once you have exchanged enough water, turn off the pump and fill hose, and pull out the plastic.

If you fill and drain at the same time (at the same rate) without the plastic, it will still work, but it's less efficient.

I did a drain and refill last weekend in Phoenix. I also have a 12k pebble tech pool. I rented a pump from Home Depot that drained it in 4 hours. I have three hose spigots combined with the auto leveler that refilled it in 8 hours.

If you started at 7 PM, it would be empty by 11 and refilled by 7 or 8 AM. Easy.

Ted

Thank you all for your input! I am having the pool drained as I write. The pool company told me since it is pebbletec it is not a problem to drain it even when it is hot outside. If it was plaster, they would not drain it. They'll do a pressure wash and then a chlorine rinse. I can then fill it. I was hesitant to try this all by myself for the first time but have learned a lot so far and can probably do this on my own next time.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I can have some test results and then get the water balanced from there. Look for test results soon!

Chris

12K gal
cartridge
IG/pebble tec

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.